Saturday, April 29, 2023

Bangladesh: ten things


Bangladesh

November 2019- January 2020


They eat lunch at 2PM and I didn't realize this until my 4th week there.  I could never understand why no one was in the restaurants with me at that time.  And I could never understand where everyone in my office was a 2 PM.

Their weekend is Friday and Saturday.  I never got used to working on a Sunday.

They pray all damn day.

I was there for six weeks and didn't have any alcohol the whole time. I didn't see a bar or any place that sold alcohol.

Some of my female students dressed in western clothing.  Some wore eastern saris.  Some wore scarves and a few came to class fully covered from head to toe.

One of my students was Catholic.  The rest of them were all Muslim.

Most people move through the city on rickshaws, powered by men on bikes. It seemed as if the standard fare was about $1 no matter where you were going.

I was in Dhaka for Christmas and went to Christmas Mass. And while I couldn't  understand what prayers the people were reciting, I knew by the cadence of their recitation, where we were in the universal mass.

Traffic is a fucking mess.  It takes forever to get through the city.

There is a huge problem of domestic violence. There is little to no effort to hold men accountable.


No comments: