Thursday, October 25, 2018

MN, IO, and WI

MN, IO, and WI
Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin
A Road Trip
April 13-16, 2018

Each year, I go to a state I have never visited.  I fly to a major city and rent a car and take off for four or five days to places unknown.  I didn't visit a new state last year so I had to visit two this year.  I also decided to tag on a third state since these places are so remote to me. So I mapped out a route and thought for sure that winter would be passed but this time but I was wrong. I was deep in to a  painful winter weekend.  I was under prepared for this cold weather.

  • It snowed all damn weekend. And it rained and sleeted and had high gusts of winds. Driving was a dangerous challenge.
  • Visited Pulpit Rock Brewery.
  • Stopped in at Toppling Goliath Brewery.
  • Went to the Karst Brewery.
  • Crossed the Mississippi River from Wisconsin to Michigan and it was a thrill.
  • Crossed the Mississippi River from Iowa to Wisconsin and it was also a thrill.
  • Ordered a subscription to HuLu because I was so damn bored in my hotel room.
  • I had an order of potato chips that were covered with three different cheeses and then came with a side of Gorgonzola cheese spread.  It's great to be in cheese country.
  • I thought I would see more dairy farms and cows. I saw miles and miles of farms but they didn't seem to be dairy.
  • There are thousands of fields of farms that melt in to the horizon.
  • Visited the Grumpy Troll Brewery- WI
  • The towns were few and far between and the populations were so small that there was very little commerce.
Unfinished Business- Because of the challenging weather, I saw very little of this area.  I still need to: 
  • Walk down Main Street in Mount Horeb to see all of the trolls.
  • Visit the frank Lyod Wright house in Wisconsin.
  • Take a boat ride down the Mississippi River.
  • Wander around Madison.


No comments: