Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Great Sand Dunes National Park

The Great Sand Dunes National Park
Colorado
July 2017


I have wanted to visited this place fro a number of years and I finally made it.  My intention was to hike up to the lowest dune and maybe roll down (either voluntarily because I wanted to or involuntarily because i feel and couldn't stop myself). But I never got that far.

As we entered the dunes, we had to cross a small creek.  I rolled up the bottom of my jeans and walked across with my sandals still on my feet.  The water was warm and that little bit of heart felt good on my feet.

As we walked closer and closer to the dunes, my feet began to burn.  We had been warned that the sand could get as hot as 140F but that warning didn't register until this moment when the sand got stuck between my toes.  It quickly became to o hot to walk.  So, after 1,000 steps, we turned around and headed back to a cooler surface.  But unfortunately, the sand seemed to get hotter and hotter with every step we took.  By the time we got back the the small creek, the water seemed cold to me and it was a relief to just stand there for a moment. We left shortly thereafter.

This is unfinished business for me.  I must come back, with socks and sturdy shoes, and climb one of the dunes, even if it is one of the smallest dunes.

No comments: