Thursday, November 30, 2017

My Mudder Is Sick


My Mudder IS Sick
Haiti Family Initiative Wellness Program
Jacmel, Haitit
July 2013


"OK madame, he says to me, 
"my mudder is sick. OK, you see her today?"


It is hot and it is only 930AM. Our 30 allotted cards, entrance tickets to the medical clinic, have already been distributed. These lucky 30 people will wait for hours in the sun. But that doesnt matter to them. They have the time. As a matter of fact, time is the only commodity they have. 

Our gatekeeper approaches me and asks if his mother can still get in even though she came too late to get a ticket. It is so hard to be fair in this country. I have to tell him the truth; we may not even get to see all of these 30 people today. The mayor has asked us to go to a mountain village to treat some people. He owes someone a favor and we need his support to keep our program going. So we will go to the mountains at noon. But the gatekeeper's mother is right in front of me. Her glassy eyes tell me she is sick. But so are the other 30 people in front of her. 

"Send her home for today. Dont let her sit in this sun," I tell him. 

I promise him the first ticket for tomorrow.

 "OK,OK", he says to me. 

He holds her chin in his calloused hand and speaks quietly to her. She nods and leaves. As the first patient of the day surrenders her #1 ticket, I give it to the gatekeeper. He gently slides the ticket in to his pants pocket, delighted that he has secured a doctor's visit for his mother. 

"God bless you madame, God bless you."

No comments: