Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mrs. Kelly

My mother's parents were Ida and Jack. Everyone called them Ida and Jack.  My friends didn't even know what their last name was.  So they would come over to my house and see my grandparents and mother and shout out, "Hello Mrs Kelly! hello Ida, hi Jack.

My father's parents died young.  I was around six when Doc died.  I vaguely remember him but I do know that every one, even his sons, called him Doc.  So, it was Ida and Jack and Doc as my grandparents.  My other grandmother died at 52, long before I was born, even before my parents were married.  So I have no sense of this woman. She was a grandmother for a very short period of time and I have never heard anyone refer to her as anything but "Mrs. Kelly."  My father always spoke of her with a reverence but he never referred to her as anything other than "my mother."   My mother and her sister-in-laws referred to this woman as "Mrs. Kelly". So for grandparents I have Ida, Jack, Doc and Mrs Kelly.