Friday, January 22, 2016

North East River




The North East River
Carpenter's Point, MD


 
This river calls to me and owns me. I look at it every day, marveling at its beauty. It is shallow and warm so I can step in it in April and I step out sometime in late October.  I kayak in it on a regular basis, even on a fluke warm winter day.  During the day, I bring out one of my many floatation devices and just plop myself on top and float away the day.  When friends join me on the beach, we bring our chairs right into the water and drink beer, no matter what time of day it is. I sit here as the sun goes down.  I built a fire pit and a beach fire tends to drawn my neighbors out, laden down with drinks and cigarettes and laughter. We watch fireworks from multiple locations on July 4th. Sometimes, I bring a small grill to the beach and I cook hot dogs for everyone.

When we have a heavy rain, I like to stand on the edge and watch this calm river churn up small white caps.  After the storm, I like to see what new patterns of erosion have emerged on the beach. And I listen to all of the homeowners right on the beach, run their wet-vacs as they suck up all the water in their house.
When my nephews come to visit in the summer, i make them stay in the water all night with me.  We go in around midnight and we come out just after the sun has come up. We spend the night challenging each other to shell throwing competitions. hold-you breathe competitions and swimming duration competing.  We try to see how far I can walk out before thee water is over my head. But mostly we stand around and marvel that we can stay in this calm water all night.

The river freeze every year but for a short period of time.  I like to go to the edge and throw a rock to determine how thick the ice is. Sometimes, the rock skips a few times and just rests there for a few days.  Other times, it sinks quickly and I know spring is around the corner.