Thursday, August 5, 2021

Put Some Money In Their Pockets

Put Some Money In Their Pockets

A Scholarship for One of My Chinese Students

SIAS University

Fall 2012


About a month ago, I gave a presentation about my teaching assignment in China.  One woman in the audience was so moved by the stories of the young women that she sat right down and wrote me a check for $100.  "Put some money in their pockets for me", she told me.  The students were required to complete an application on how they would use this money and Olivia was selected as the recipient.  Below is her thank you note to the donor.




Olivia's Thank You Letter


Dear Ms. Hanak,

Thanks for your scholarship. I am Liu Mimi, Olivia, I have just received the news that I
have been awarded the generous $100.00 gift you have provided for a World Academy
member with a financial need. I am from a small poor village in Henan province. I am a
member of the Advanced World Academy, which means this is my second year as an
Academy member. I have taken on the management of the office in order to improve my
ability to organize and lead others. It is a big challenge for me to do this work. I really
appreciate that you have provided this award and I am honored to be the recipient.It will
definitely support my study and my project "Give Voice to Women". It means a lot to me.
For my project, we are going to empower women with voice and encourage them to tell
their own stories via video and film women leader from rural areas. We hope that videos
can enlighten other women who live with them around.

The women in World Academy can be more positive to do what they want to do. We will also make videos for World Academy women, let them speak about which project they did and what they learned from that. For my project members, we hope that during the process of implementing this project, we can
get more access to know how the successful women did, plus, we can learn how to build a
group.A confident voice and a friendly smile can help us to grow faster in our life.

Above all, I really want to say thank you again, Ms. Hanak, you let me come alive, and my
project will move faster now.

Sincerely,
Olivia

No comments: