Friday, August 27, 2021

Gloria's Views on the Dali Lama

 

Gloria's Views on the Dali Lhama

SIAS University

Henan Province, China

Spring 2012


One evening, I had a surprising conversation with my Chinese students about the Dali Lhama.  They hate him.  And I couldn't believe it.  And they couldn't believe that my American friends and I love him.  So I told me students that they could write their views and I would publish them without edit.

Comment on the Dalai Lama




When I first heard my foreign friends thought highly of Dalai Lama and considered him as a holy spiritual leader, I felt astonished and uncomfortable. We had a sort of debate, but I couldn’t convince my dear friends who are from western world. 

That night, all my Chinese friends felt hurtful. We dislike Dalai Lama. All the night, my foreign friends told us that we should not forcefully put our willingness on others, but respect their choices. As a matter of fact, we human beings are always trying to help others to live a life that we think is better. Many people believe Chinese government should leave the Tibetan alone so that they can enjoy their own peaceful life. In the mean time, Chinese government holds the opinion that they have the obligation to have Tibetan well-educated and well-developed. 

People with prejudice could not give rather just opinions. The roads and the railway that Chinese government had built for Tibet have been considered as a basic way of transporting troops. From another perspective, those are great ties between the mainland and Tibet, as well as a way for visitors to explore the unique and splendid landscapes. 

And prejudice is easily gotten as the news presses and people around keep telling it. We believe that we are trying hard to get a whole picture from different presses. Actually, we cannot avoid being influenced by news with the similar perspective, sort of a bloc. 

I want to be a sensible and rational person, not an emotional one. But I can’t get rid of the dislike of Dalai Lama. I have traced the source of my disrespect for him, and then I realized that may be from 2008, the Beijing Olympic Games. At that time, all our Chinese people were so excited to welcome friends from all around the world. For instance, the citizens from little kids to the senior people made all their efforts to learn English so that they could help foreigners. However, most of the western newspapers expressed intense protests. Like Bridget put it: they didn’t accept the mistreating of Dalai Lama and they believed Chinese should not have the right to hold the Olympic Game. During that period of time, we can see the criticism here and there. Especially when I saw the physically challenged athlete Jin Jing was robbed of the torch by the supporters of Dalai Lama, I felt really sad. 

Soon, our people suffered from the earthquake. I kept crying every time I saw the news and pictures. To my surprise, I still saw some brutal hypothesize that Chinese government was making conspiracies for the government didn’t allow foreign journalists to go the center of the earthquake. 

I hate trouble. And I believe a person who really love peace will not try to arouse fights.  Hitler once was regarded as great, a self-control, discipline and patriotic vegan. And I don’t think the Committee should keep the Nobel suffering shame by awarding people who didn’t spare no effort to strive for peace. How come Albert Arnold Gore Jr. and Barack Hussein Obama deserve the prize?

No comments: