Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Don't Want

Don't Want

Ann's FB Post

Winter 2015


Today is the first day of Spring Festival and Anna, one of my Chinese students, is now studying in the USA, completing an internship.  This is the first time she is not celebrating Spring Festival with her family in China.  Her dismissal of this important holiday saddened me.




不要想家。不想不想不想。春节只是一年中的一天,对吧?
Don't miss home. Don't want don't want don't want. Spring Festival is a day of the year, right? 

2017: When I first read this post, I thought Ann was trying to minimize this moment in order to cope with being away from her family.  But I later learned that Ann had been converted to Christianity by one of her American teachers.  She left her family and China and started Divinity School in Philadelphia. This move created a huge riff with her family. And this really saddened me.



No comments: