Wednesday, March 31, 2021

She's Listening to TedTalks Now

She's Listening to TedTalks Now

Sias University

Henan Province, China

Spring 2012


I recently returned from China where I was teaching global leadership skills to college women.  I loved this assignment.  My students were hungry to suck up any and all information they could find. 

So today, I opened this email from one of my students.I am a sucker for a note like this one.  When I was in China, it was so hard to get good news coverage.  Actually, it was hard to get any news.  I had access to China Daily which focused to giving Americans a Chinese view of our corrupt USA world.  So my  students frequently relied on just what the government feed them.  They never questioned anything they were told. Some of them would become indignant when I suggested they looked to other sources for the news. They told me they had to trust the government and they thought I had to be less jaded in my views. 


What is the balance between our two worlds?


Dear Bridget,

I watched a TED talk "The Danger of One Story" which talks about how people make generalization based on only on story. It reminds me of you. You always get news from various sources, like BBC news.
really miss you.


Gloria

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.

-Franklin Roosevelt

#2012, Bridgetkellyinchina, #China, #women,

No comments: