Sunday, March 21, 2021

Losing My Election- November 5, 2014

 ON THIS DAY on Facebook


Reflections on Losing My Election

MD State Senate race

District 35

2014 Election

6 years ago
I just got back from Maryland after spending yesterday at the polls in support of my amazing friend and colleague,
Bridget E Kelly
, who was running for state senate in district 35. At the polls, we were amazed by a virtual conga line of people who stopped to tell Bridget that her message of "community, compromise, consensus and commitment" and "every voice matters; every voice heard" resonated personally with them. Armed with a modest budget, no political experience, a cadre of loyal supporters from both Pennsylvania and Maryland, and a passion for governmental reform, Bridget knocked on a minimum of 100 doors EVERY DAY in her district. She visited town halls, libraries, veterans’ hospitals, the Chesapeake, NAACP meetings, churches, schools, neighborhoods, businesses, prisons, and homeless encampments. I've seen her spend 20 minutes with an individual who was adamant against voting for any democrat, listening to his concerns, and wishing him well even when she knew she was not going to get his vote. Yesterday, Bridget and her campaign were caught in the anti-democrat backlash that swept not only Maryland but a lot of the nation. Although she had 11,000 people buck the trend and vote for her, often splitting their vote to do so, she was unsuccessful. In the end, Bridget did not lose: the voters in District 35 in Harford and Cecil Counties did. And what a shame for them. Bridget ran a clean campaign and refused to bad mouth her opponent in any way; but I am willing to bet he is not going to pound the pavement like she did or take the time to interact not only with the power brokers but also the forgotten, the underrepresented, the disenfranchised, the poor and the people who exist on the outskirts of our society. I hope for the voters in district 35 I am wrong. As for Bridget, she remains committed to the people of Maryland and summed up her experience with this quote: "you don't need to be elected to step up and serve". What a class act. Bridget, it's an honor to know you and an honor to have worked on your campaign. It's an experience I'll never forget. --Marilyn
You, Chris Belton, Betsy Scholz Paugh and 10 others
7 Comments
Share

Comments

ON THIS DAY
6 years ago
November 5, 2014 
Shared with Public
Public
What a funny feeling today. Even though I didn't win, I don't feel any loss. I am proud of my team and can't thank
Kathy Bandos
,
Marilyn Lake-DellAngelo
and Janice Lion enough for all of their efforts.
Kimberly Wagner
was a great treasurer. Over 60 people volunteered to make phone calls, knock on doors or send out mailers. And yesterday, I stood at my voting poll and one person after another stopped me and told me they were cheering for me. While the numbers just weren't enough to get me to Annapolis, the encouragement I received from so many strangers have shown me that you don't need to be elected to step up and serve.
Sharon Kelly Hake, Rosina Rucci and 180 others
30 Comments
Share

Comments

  • Great to be part of your team. You did an outstanding job and your campaign opened many opportunities for you to make a difference in MD.
    3
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Inspired and proud to know you! What's next?
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You are an absolute inspiration to so many...proud to be your friend
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • It's been a pleasure to meet you at all these 
    Cecil Brunch Club
    events. You're a caring, smart and trusting individual who I looked forward to voting for in the election over the Gov and Sheriff's race. I know you're a winner and so do so many others who got it right when they voted for you.
    3
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • What a gracious thing to say,Bridget. You are not a loser in my book,but an inspiration!
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Bridget, thank you for running. I thought you ran a great campaign and I can't wait to see what's next for you!
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You're an amazing lady!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
    • Edited
  • I am extremely proud of you and I am truly blessed to have you in my life. God bless you
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You fought the good fight!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Hang in there. You are an inspiration to all who know u.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You know, those who can see winning in "loss" are the true leaders and the ones who honorably wins! What a class act you are, BEK! Don't stop being the inspiration you are! I am sure the support and cheers you had received, and continue to receive ("BEK! BEK! BEK!") warms your heart. Good for you!!
    4
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Wonderful attitude.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You ran a great race, and deserve to be proud of doing so regardless of the outcome.
    3
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • I'm proud to count myself as a friend of yours, Bridget.. great job!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Kathleen Billmire
    First time running, you did AWESOME Bridget!
    2
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • bummer- but I am sure you will keep on top of MD one way or another
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You are a winner where ever you go!! I am proud to know you. Glo 😉
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Bridget, it was a pleasure working with you. I dare say, if all of us had did the same, more of us would have made victory. A HOUSE divided will surely fall. Thank you for being a visionary and true to the cause.
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • So proud of you and inspired by you
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • We are so very proud of you. What a loss for Maryland that you didn't quite make it.
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Knowing you, I know you fought the good ! I wish you'd won but know you kept your integrity which is so important.
    2
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • It was my pleasure, 
    Bridget E Kelly
    , to participate in the campaign for Bridgetkelly2014! Next time, we'll win!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • I am so very lucky to know you and to have you in my life - you are who all of us should aspire to be.
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • "Because I knew you......I have been changed for good" Thank you 
    Bridget E Kelly
    .
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Yeah, and SHS has fireworks for graduation!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • You are the best 
    Bridget E Kelly
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • Bridget, if you're as proud of yourself as your friends are of you, you must feel wonderful!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 6y
  • We talked about eastern shore stuff. Considering all that you have an awful lot to be proud of. Keep plugging away- sit and eat some crabs at Rock Hall. Heck, I'll join you!
    1
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 5y

No comments: