Friday, October 30, 2020

Student Health Clinic


Student Health Clinic

Sias University

Henan Province, China

Spring 2012


I had to go to the student health clinic which is two small rooms right next to the noodle shop.  I just knew I had a sinus infection and I needed an antibiotic but I was alone and didn’t know how I was going to get what I wanted.  I walked in to a waiting room but no one was there.  So I found a woman slouched over a chair. She seemed to be napping.  She looked like the cleaning woman so I was not too optimistic that she would know any English.  And I was right. 

When I began to speak to her, she just laughed in my face.  I stood at the doorway, somewhat perplexed.  

And then a college student and her mother approached me.  “Hello,” she said.  “Do you need help?”  

“Yes, I need some help with translating, if I am not too much of a bother.”  “No, it will be my honor to help you.” 


So the young woman and her mother walked me back in to the clinic and began speaking to what I thought was the wash woman. This woman was the doctor.  Another doctor came in and he decided to attend to me.  He took my pulse and checked my breathing.  And my new college student friend asked me all about my phlegm and sneezing and aches and pains.  And as she interpreted for the doctor and me, the other doctor and the mother added their two cents.  

The mother thought I would feel better if I had a scarf around my neck.  She then proceeded to get up from her seat and zip up my coat.  The two doctors confirmed about something.  And then the one doctor told the young woman, "Tell her we will use Chinese ways.  The hot water will help her.”  Well, I was certainly hoping for a little bit more than that.  He then told her that I was sick.  I had an acute respiratory infection and a fever.  So he order three boxes of medicine and gave me my bill:  $5 for everything.  And a cup of coffee in Beijing cost $6.

No comments: