Saturday, October 31, 2020

My Viewpoint About Chinese Information

 My Viewpoint About Chinese Information

An Essay from One of My Chinese Students

SIAS University

Henan Province, China

Spring 2012


In the spring of 2012, I taught leadership skills to college women in China.  We often had conversations about research, facts, opinions, access to information and government interference.  My students were often defensive and in denial of any government interference.  Even after I complained about my own government, they never surrendered any loyalty to the Chinese government. After much discussion, I challenged one student to write her views and I promised to publish it on my blog, completely unedited it.  Here it is:


A few days ago, one of my foreign friends said, why couldn't you get into some of international websites, why couldn't you see what happened in the world? Because your government want you to be stupid and keep from the information.

I disagree. I believe most of the foreigners hold the view like what my foreign friends take. But I do not agree.

Yes, in a way, I admit Chinese government block some information whatever it is about, I'm also curious about what they are. However, I understand some of doings of our government and I support. 

Forbidding some information is for the steady of our country and guaranteeing China's long-term stability. And now, not every Chinese could understand English( western culture and language,etc) well, most of couldn't master the foreign language. On this occasion, how could a Chinese tell what is true or not? Also, they may misunderstand what you American or European want to express( perhaps your expression is right and it's also the truth).

Moreover, we could know what our government blocked if we want, only by some little technology. Anyway, we are not idiots.

Besides, as a Chinese citizen, I want you to know that Chinese people could get most of the news from the world, we know what happened everyday in the world, we care about our countryself and the world. I take stock in that we will know more and more with our country's progress until all of. Do not criticize Chinese government, and we won't criticize American government, every government is not perfect, but every government does things for their own country.
Last but not least, we are developing. Please cut down the confrontation, stand on global partnership, fight for the human beings all over the world together.

Susanna Ma
In China
5.1.2012

No comments: