Thursday, September 24, 2020

Adoption in China- One Child Policy 20 years later

 Adoption in China- One Child Policy 20 years later

Spring 2013

Philadelphia, PA


 

Selia is going to get to know another young Chinese woman who was adopted.  As I mentioned in a previous blog, one of the young women highlighted in the movie, Somewhere Between, had agreed to connect with Selia.  Both women were put up for adoption due to the one child policy.  Ann was adopted by white Americans and grew up in PA.  Selia was adopted by older Chinese parents and has not yet been told by her parents that she was in fact adopted.  As her uncle once told her, he would not talk to her about it because, “it is not the Chinese way.”

 

 

Email from Ann to me:


Mrs. Kelly,

I'm emailing you in regards to the girl from China that you spoke with me about. I'm sorry for sending this so late, it's been a busy week home for me, but I'd love to get a chance to meet this girl and try helping her with anything she needs.

If you're still interested, please let me know.


Thanks and hope you have a happy Thanksgiving,

Ann Boccuti

 

My response back to Ann:  Great. I just wrote to Selia to see if she is interested in making this connection. I know she is going to her village this weekend so it may be a few days before I hear from her. In the interim please feel free to go on my LinkedIn profile and look up Selia Wang.

Bridget Kelly

Long Nv


 

My email to Selia:  I met a young Chinese woman who was adopted by white Americans when she was an infant and she grew up in the USA. She was just featured in a documentary film called Somewhere Between. I asked her if she would be willing to connect with you and she is interested. Do you have any interest?

Selia’s email response to me:   Sounds good, I think it is a neat idea.

My email to Ann:  Ann- I just heard from Selia and she is interested in connecting with you
so the two of you can contact each other.

 
MY THOUGHTS ON THE WHOLE THING:  I don’t know who is more excited about this idea (Selia or me).  But this will be the first time Selia has met another Chinese person who was adopted.  This practice is very rare in China and very secreted. Selia only talks to the Americans about her adoption and she continues to be amazed that we speak openly and proudly about adoption in our country.  The shame of being given up and abandoned by your parents permeates all of these adoptions.

No comments: