Thursday, February 20, 2020

South Dakota

South Dakota
Custer National Park
August 2012



I've only been here once but I really enjoyed it.  I went with KT with the intention of visiting Mount Rushmore.  I always wanted to see this monument.  And I have to confess, I was underwhelmed.  It was nice but it was not a spectacular monument.

But I did love the Custer National Park which was where we camped.  There was a road where the buffalo roamed, particularly at sunset.  So we would drive our car there as the sun was going down and just wait for the herds of bison to meander pass us.

One night, the car window was down and a bison started walking quickly towards us.  We couldn't get that window up fast enough.

One day we drove through the Badlands and I was filled with amazement to think that explorers made their way through this terrain with nothing more than hope that there was better land ahead.  That was a journey of optimism.

We also traced some of the journey of Lewis and Clark and the Oregon Wagon Trail.  Again, a journey of optimism and tenacity.

I don't feel a need to go back here.  But I would recommend that everyone visit this beautiful state.

No comments: