Thursday, November 28, 2019

Wyoming

Wyoming

2005- March- I went here for spring break.  My father had just died, two weeks prior so I was a bit raw and a bit relieved.  I came mostly to go dog sledding and I spent the day with my musher and ten crazy dogs. We wandered all over the Grand Tetons.  The day was gorgeous and cold and crisp.  My cheeks were chapped but the rest of me was warm as I was bundled with heavy blankets.

We stopped for lunch and my guide just lit a fire and served me hot soup, tea and sandwiches.  We started talking a little bit about politics. He asked me if he was a Democrat or a Republican as he wasn't sure. He told me he just wants to live out in the wilderness with his girlfriend, ride his horse and keep his gun so he can go hunting.  I told him I thought he was more of a libertarian and that confused him and ended the conversation.

A lot of the roads were still closed for the winter.  This concept confused me and I found out the hard way that signs which indicate that a road is closed really does mean that the road is closed.  I wanted to take a loop around Yellowstone and five hours later, when I came to the "road closed" sign, I found out that the road really was closed and I had to drive back five hours to get to my hotel, even though I was probably 20 miles away.  The damn road really was closed.


No comments: