Thursday, March 28, 2019

November 2018


November 2018
PA, DE, MD, Canada

1- Th- PA- finally, finally, finally, after 5 years, I went to the doctor.  I hate our health care system in the USA. But I am having some sort of stomach issue so I had to break down and seek medical help.

it's dark in the AM
2- F- PA- today beat me up.  My house that I am selling came under value from the appraiser and now I have to take another $5000 lose.  I went to get my drugs at Rite Aid and was told that my insurance company wouldn't let me buy drugs from Rite Aid or Walgreen so I have to find a new pharmacy. I went to complain about my mail delivery problem and was told I have to call a particular number but that I should not have any expectation that someone answers the phone.  And then I got a call from the doctor that my blood work indicates some liver problems.  Damn.

3- SA- PA- Jaye, Dom and I took a road trip to State College to watch the PSU game with Sharon and Glenn.  The game was dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.  I'm sorry I watched it.

4- SU- PA- it was a beautiful drive home from State College but I was lethargic so it was a perfect afternoon of napping. The effects of daylight savings reared its ugly head today as it was dark by 5 PM.

5- M- PA/MD- It looks as if I probably have Hepatitis C.  I got a call from the doctor's office and had to get more blood work and schedule an ultrasound for my liver.  I hope this isn't the end of my beer drinking career.  I met Betty Ulrich for a movie (A Star Is Born) and dinner.

6- T- PA- Election Day.  As usual, I am so damn tired of this election season.  It's a killer.  But the Dems won the house and 100 women were elected in to congress so it was a damn good day.

7- W- MD- OMG, I hate my house.  Betty meet me in the late afternoon and helped me clean the place out.  I can't wait to get rid of this damn house.

8- TH- PA- I had an ultrasound on my liver and gall bladder.  I didn't have the test until 3PM and I had to fast for 8 hours.  Damn, I was so thirsty and hungry by the time the test was finished.  Then I ran off to usher at the Uptown Theatre for some TEDTalks.

9- F- PA-  OMG, I hated this day.  I got a call from the doctor to tell me that I have to have surgery on my gall bladder.  She doesn't think I should go to my Polar Bear trip next week.  I have news for her.  I'm going.  And then I found out that my furnace is out of  gas and can't be fixed because of this new situation and I can't get gas for another three days and so I had to run down there and add 10 gallons of diesel fuel in my tank and it was pouring down rain and I was miserable.

10- SA- PA-  Penn State redeemed itself this week with a win against Wisconsin.  I joined the Anderkos for dinner as we celebrated William's 28th birthday. And after that, I headed up to Yardley, PA to get ready for Caitlin's big wedding tomorrow.

11- SU- PA- the weather was beautiful and perfect for a fall wedding.  Caitlin married Kevin so now their blended family consists of two parents, seven kids and a puppy. I officiated the wedding.


12- M- PA- I can't comfort myself today.  I have too much anxiety about the settlement for my house and I see the surgeon tomorrow about my damn gall bladder.

13- T- PA- I met with the surgeon and she does not think I am in immediate danger (unless I pass that big ass stone) so I am going on my trip.  I feel a big relief off my shoulders.


14- W- DE- today was Jaye's father's funeral. It was nice to spend the day with her. And I finally sold my damn house.

15- TH- I'm heading to Canada to start my trip to see the polar bears. My first stop is Winnipeg and the old Fort Garry Hotel. I can hardly wait to see the polar bears.

16- F- Winnipeg- Damn, it is cold today.  It dropped to 10F but it was so windy that it seemed even colder.  I had intentions of walking around town but it was just too unpleasant so I found a brewery instead.  The Little Brown Jug Brewery served just two beers and both were not very interesting.  We had an orientation dinner and there are 30 on this trip. The guide indicted that the bears have left land and are now on the ice.  It is unseasonably cold and the bears have left in search of food.  We are all trying to keep our spirits high.

17- S- Churchill, Canada- we are heading to the Arctic Tundra and it feels like Christmas morning to me.  I am so damn excited.  At our first stop, we saw an Arctic hare. As we got to the lodge, it became more clear to us that the bears are gone for the season.

18- SU- Churchill, Canada- in desperation, the tourist company paid for all of us to take an hour helicopter ride and we saw three bears out on that massive ice. This ride made it abundantly clear that we will not be seeing any bears.  They are gone for the season.  I'm disappointed. We got to see some Northern Lights tonight.

19- M- Churchill, Canada- we rode on the Tundra Rovers for 7 hours today and saw a few white birds that blended in so much with the snow that it was very hard to keep them in my sight. The Northern Lights showed up around midnight.

20- TU- Churchill, Canada- it's -43F and my hands are numbing up, even with gloves.  We are touring Churchill today and the cold is so frightening. I don't know how people can live in this climate.  We watched a bear being airlifted from Churchill to the Hudson Bay. Great care is given to the well being of the bears.We had our farewell dinner but the highlight of today was my hot shower and bath in my luxury room at the Fort Garry Hotel.

21- W- Winnipeg, Canada- heading on on this busy travel day.  My flight is already delayed by 1 1/2 hour and now I have a tight connection in Toronto. Traveling the day before Thanksgiving is stressful.

22- TH- PA- It's Thanksgiving. I always miss my mother on this day because she always made a great feast for us and we were all tighter.  After she died, we split up.


23- F- PA- I had an early appointment to go through pre-surgery things.  My blood pressure was great which pleased me as my readings have been awful the last few weeks.  I guess the fear of the unknown was getting to me.  And then, I was off to the movies to see Green Book, a movie that highlights yet again how racist our country was and still is.

24- S-PA- I shopped for food today to hold me over for next week when I am stuck in my apartment, working on my recovery from surgery.  I have enough beverages to last me several months.

25- SU- PA- Lauren came over and helped me clean my apartment.  I have to get her to help me more often.

26- M- PA- surgery @830AM.  The surgery was fine but the drugs knocked the hell out of me.  I was in a fog until the early evening. But I have no pain.

27- T- PA- a day of recovery at Tricia's house.  Jaye picked me up at the hospital and I was dressed and ready to go when she arrived. I was ready to move on.

28- W- PA- I am back in my apartment and resting. Sharon and Glenn stopped by with plenty of food.

29- TH- PA- I got dressed and ventured to the lounge in my attempt to get back to a normal life after surgery.

30- F- PA- Jim and Joann stopped by to take me to lunch.  I am still being treated as if I am fragile even though I am feeling great after my surgery.  I am over this event.


As the sun sets over the Arctic Tundra. It is -41F. The coldness scared me.

No comments: