Friday, May 24, 2019

My Christmas Traditions



My Meager Christmas Holiday Traditions


OMG, I hate Christmas.  I hate the frenzy, the constant holiday music, the obligation to buy gifts for people you don't like, the ugly over consumption, the assumption that everyone celebrates this dreadful holiday, the constant conversation about the holiday. this holiday eats away at me.  I am in a bad mood from the day after Thanksgiving until the New Year when all of the celebration is finally over.

But I am making an effort to do a few things to nudge me closer to finding some holiday spirit.  I have a few traditions.  I don't lean on all of them every year but I do some combination of these things:



  • I watch the movie, Love Actually.  I love every one of the sub-stories and I love the music.

  • I listen to David Sedaris' recording of  Holiday on Ice, the hysterical story of his time as an elf for Macy's on Fifth Avenue, NYC.  OMG, this story is so fucking funny. 

  • And I listen to Lewis Black's recording  of I'm dreaming of a Black Christmas. It's his sarcastic take on Christmas from a Jewish perspective. It's funny, irrelevant and an appropriate take for an outsider stepping in to this holiday.
  • I attend the Overbrook School for the Blind Holiday Show.  I lived across the street from his school in Philadelphia.  The show is filled with young kids with multiple disability's who do their best to give they audience a moment of joy.  And watching them perform under these trying conditions does bring me joy.

  •  I like to drive through neighborhoods that compete to outdo themselves with holiday decorations.

No comments: