Saturday, December 15, 2018

K

K
Some of my thoughts and memories and things:
  • Kelly- my family name; Gaelic meaning- warrior/fighter.
  • Kellys- there were three other Kelly families in our neighborhood.  Kelly is one of the most popular surnames in Ireland and certainly, the most popular name in Overbrook in the 1960s.
  • Kathy- my oldest sister. She is almost 3 years older than me.
  • Kathy Flatley- we became friends in 1962.  We went to grade school high school and college together. I was in her wedding and attended her children's celebrations.  Our parents were friends and are now buried near each other in the same cemetery. it looks as if we will be friends for life.
  • Kathys- There were 45 girls in my high school class and 5 of them were named Kathy. Now,  I never hear of anyone naming their babies Kathy.
  • Kevin- my first nephew.  He made me an aunt in 1980.
  • KKK- I went to an open meeting they had in Elkton, MD. Unabashed they claimed they were not a hate group.  They just like to be with white people, "just like AARP likes old people."
  • King Tut- I didn't go in to his tom when I was in the Valley of the Kings because I saw his exhibit in Philadelphia and I wasn't going to pay another $50 to see him again. He's dead.
  • Kindergarten- My mom wouldn't let me go to kindergarten because she said I was too small.
  • Kale- no thank you.
  • Key West, FL- a decadent place that is fun to visit but I wouldn't want to live there I would probably be an alcoholic if I did.
  • Kuwait- Maybe I will go here one day; I am just not sure if it would be safe for me.
  • Kite Runner- this book was riveting and the movie was just as powerful.
  • Kitchen God's Wife- Amy Tan- one of my favorite authors.
  • Kitchen- Banana Yoshimoto- I read this book 20 years ago and remember loving it but I have no memory of the story.  I should go back and read it again.
  • Kit flying- I love to be at the beach in the late afternoon and fly a kite.
  • Kangaroos- I hung with them in a rehab center in Australia.  They smell.
  • Kathy Scott- my very good high school friend.  She moved to Maryland after graduation and I kept in touch with her for a few years but then she disappeared.  I have made efforts to find her but without success.
  • Krishna- a Hindu god, like so many of them who intrigue me.
  • Keens- my favorite summer shoes.
  • Kids- I never wanted them.
  • Kittens- I never wanted them either.
  • Kook- I've been called this many times.
  • Kansas- I took my high school Science Olympiad team here for a national competition.  We came in fifth in the nations. over 100 schools participated.
  • Kathmandu, Nepal- 2017- I spent November and December here.
  • Kennebunk, ME- I had lobster rolls here.
  • Kenya- 1994- I went on safari here and loved every minute of it.
  • King's Speech- a great movie.
  • Killing Fields, Cambodia- I spent an afternoon at this horrible place.  I stepped on pieces of bone fragments.
  • Kinky Boots- NYC- 2017-  I loved the movie and I loved the play.
  • Kathmandu, Nepal- I spent 8 weeks here in November and December 2018.
  • Kayaking- I started kayaking when I was 50 and I love to be in the water, under my own power.
  • Kentucky- This state is on my list of states visited but I have absolutely no memory fo the place.  So I guess I will have to go here again.
  • Kentucky Derby- I think I might like to go here just once.  But I am not buying a big-assed hate.
  • Kiss Me Kate- a high school production that was old and silly.
  • KT- my good friend who lives in CO and I go to see her once a year.
  • KD Lang- she is one hell of a singer.
  • Kopi Luwak (covet) coffee- It's $50 for a cup of this coffee that some sort of rodent ate and then eliminated so that the acid taste is taken out of the bean.  It's gross but the coffee is delicious.
  • Ketchup- mostly I don't like to use it or other condiments.  They overpower the taste of the food.
  • Kyrgyzstan- I want to take a big ass trip through the Silk Road and many trips start here.  Too bad, I couldn't pinpoint where this country is on a map.
  • Kilimanjaro- I've been to the base of the mountain and that is as far as I am going.
  • Keys-I seem to be losing them more frequently now that I am older.
  • Kennedy Family- they have had lots of tragedy but they also seemed to have dodged a few bullets as well.  How did Ted get away with Chappaquiddick?
  • King of Prussia Mall- as I kid, I loved to go here.  It was such a treat. Now, I can't  stand to go here.  It's too damn crowded.
  • KEEPER OF THE RICEHaiti Family Initiative Summer Program- Jamel, Haiti- Summer 20130 Little, dirty fingers slide in to the palm of my hands. They grab on to my belt loops. They hang on my purse straps. They cling to my legs. They know I am the keeper of the rice.
  • Krishna Village- DE- I spent a Sunday morning here and was badgered by two women who wanted to convert me.
  • Knitting- I've tried it several times but I just cant get the hang of it. And why does this activity start with a K?
  • Kauai Island- I want to go to Hawaii within the year and this may be the island I chose to visit. I don't necessarily want to go to the big island.
  • Kings and queens- royalty does not hold my interest.
  • Kalispell Brewery- MT- a pleasant place to have an IPA.
  • Karst Brewery- MN- this is a small house that serves as the brewery and the poorhouse.
  • Kennett Brewing Company- PA- some good beers are served here.
  • Kunzang Odsal Palyul Changchub Choling- Center for Buddhist Study and Practice in the Nyingma Tradition-Poolesville, MD-June 8, 2016- the nun was sitting in mediation and reading her prayers from her iPad.



No comments: