Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmans Decorations

Christmas Decorations
Our Home; at the kitchen table
Philadelphia, PA
1964-66


When we were kids, my mom made us make all of our Christmas tree decorations.  She would set up the kitchen table to resemble a third world child sweat shop and the six of us would spend the afternoon making dozens of felt decorations.  

One year we made white doves and red cardinals.  Another year we made multiple designs of Ginger bread men and tress and candy canes and Christmas bulbs.

She made all of our stocking and I thought they were so festive.  Mine was a Christmas wreath and I thought I had the most beautiful of the wreaths.  My dad was Santa Claus.  Of course, my mom was Mrs. Claus.

The decorations lasted for years and then slowly, they seemed to disappear.  I gave a few to my friend who loves Christmas and he cried when I presented them to him.  He said he was not worthy of such an honor but I told him we had plenty to spare so he took them.  That was in 1982.  Now, we have only a few left.  My forced once offered to give me back all but one.  He wanted to keep at least one for his tree but thought my nieces and nephews would want a part of my childhood.  At the time I told him not to worry about it.  But now I would love to have them back and I no longer see this friend.

I have one or two of them. And I find that just holding them comforts me.

No comments: