Friday, September 21, 2018

2013

2013
Carpenter’s Point, MD


My age: 57- 58
from my garden

Home:  I am now living, full time, in a rural community, tucked away from the mainstream and about 30 miles north of Baltimore.  This was a very long, isolated winter. But I do get to spend more time on my garden in the spring and summer. And I now have the opportunity to kayak every day as my house is 20 yards away from the North East River.

School- I took classes at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (AKA Geriatric University). Mostly I took courses in writing, photography, travel and economics. I also took a course at my local community college on photography and zentangle (doodling).

Music- I don't know any music anymore.  I used to listen to music for hours at a time.  But once I moved away from albums and CDs, I stopped playing music.  I listen to it in the car.  Mostly I listen to WXNP, an independent  Philly station that plays singer/songwriters who are well known and unknown.

Movies- I love to go to the movies.
Norway Art Museum
  • All is Lost- I am tired of movies that star Robert Redford.
  • American Hustler- a fun movie to watch.
  • August Osage County- it was OK.
  • The Butler- I enjoyed it.
  • Captain Phillips- thrilling and scary.
  • The Great Gatsby- I thought this movie did a great job of showing Gatsby's extravagance.
  • In a World
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Nebraska- a good story line.
  • Philomena- this movie made me so angry, once again, with the Catholic Church.
  • Saving Mr. Banks- an entertaining movie
The White Cliffs of Dover

Books

  • I am listening to David Sedaris on audiobooks.  He is a    clever writer.  I particularly like his story on being an elf At Macy's during the Christmas season.  It is so damn funny.  I try to listen to this story every year now.

  •  A Walk in The Woods-  I have listened to this book so many times that I can just put in any CD and just pick up the story.    And I still laugh right out loud when I listen to it.
Philadelphia

Travels 
  • ·      I spent the summer in Jacmel, Haiti where I supervised the Haiti Family Initiative Program.  We offered a medical clinic, a women’s empowerment class, sports programs, art classes and school-readiness programs.

  • ·      I visited my high school friend, Marie Barcia in England.  We went to see the play, The Book of Mormons.

  •       I traveled to NJ, DE, CO, NY
Norway
  •      I took a trip with the Semester at Sea program. What a great program! I could take a trip like this every year. We traveled by ship for 3 weeks and visited:
  •               England 
  •               Germany 
  •               Norway
  •               Sweden 
  •               Denmark 
  •               Latvia
  •               Russia




News events
  • The Affordable Care Act is a controversial piece of legislation that was a great benefit to me.  My health insurance cost dropped $300/month.
  • Nelson Medela died and the whole world mourned for him.
  • Two jerks dropped bombs during the Boston Marathon. And the  Boston cops put on a man hint for them that was admirable and determined.  The cops found those fuckers in two days.
  • Ed Snowden leaked classified information about NSA spying on all of us.
  • The Federal Government shut down for 16 long days.
  • Pope Francis becomes the pope and wins over every one's hearts.
  • Gay Marriage is passed by the Supreme Court.
  • Three women are released from captivity in a house in Cleveland.  The kidnapper was arrested and eventually hung himself in his jail cell before the trial.
  • Detroit filed for bankruptcy. That city has lots of troubles.
  • Haiti
  • The country is up in arms over the killing of Travon Martin by George Zimmerman who is acquitted of murder charges.

Family and friends
  • I had my 40th high school reunion. I made an effort to find every one of my classmates and I was fairly successful.
  • I spent my first winter at Carpenter's Point, MD which is a very rural area.  The winter was quiet, cold, snowy, bitter and longggggg!!!
  • My friends from San Diego visited for a week.
  • My friend, Sue, is diagnosed with cancer of the saliva glands.  I never heard of that cancer.


No comments: