Friday, July 27, 2018

Amy Tan

Amy Tan
American Author

Yet Another Obsession of Mine
One of My Favorite Authors

I love this author.  When I read her first book, I couldn't wait for the next book to be released and the three year gap seemed like a lifetime.

Her Books:

  • The Joy Luck Club (1989)- I read the book twice; watched the movie twice and listened to the audiobook twice.  I showed the movie to my Chinese students when I was teaching in China and we started our own Joy Luck Club.  We met every Wednesday for lunch.
  • The Kitchen God's Wife (1991)- I read the book and listened to the audiobook twice.
  • The Hundred Secret Senses (1995)- I read the book and am looking for an audiobook copy in my library to borrow.
  • The Bonesetter's Daughter (2001)- I read the book once and listened to the audiobook once.
  • Saving Fish from Drowning (2005)- I listened to the audiobook twice.
  • The Valley of Amazement (2013)- I listened to the audiobook.
  • The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings- owned the book.


Her stories often tell the struggles of people caught between a Chinese world and an American world.  I think she does a much better job of painting a more interesting portrait of the Chinese struggles.

I love watching The Joy Luck Club and showed it to my Chinese students.when I taught in China.  After we watched the movie, we started our own Joy Luck Club.  We met every Wednesday for lunch at the Loi Bing restaurant in Henan Provence.

I have a few friends who are also Amy Tam groupies and they too have read and seen everything she has published.

I prefer her fiction to her non-fiction.


I think I need to move on to another author.

No comments: