Saturday, May 26, 2018

1962

1962

Woodbine Avenue
Overbrook
Philadelphia, PA

My age: 6-7

School- Our Lady of Lourdes Grade School.  Miss Taylor was my 2nd grade teacher. School work was a struggle for me. I felt a lot of failure.

Music
  •            I Cant Stop Loving You by Ray Charles
  •         Roses Are Red (My Love) by  Bobby Vinton
  •      Johnny Angel  by  Shelley Fabares
  •      The Loco-Motion by Little Eva
  •      The Twist by Chubby Checker
  •      Soldier Boy  by The Shirelles
  •       Duke of Earl by  Gene Chandler
  •      Palisades Park by Freddy Cannon
  •      Breaking Up Is Hard to Do by Neil Sedaka

Televison- I watched television only in the evenings.
  •  o The Beverly Hillbillies- this stupid theme songs still plagues my mind.
  •  o   Candid Camera- I loved the pranks.
  •  o   The Red Skelton Show- this was a wholesome show of comedy and silliness.
  •  o   Bonanza- Hoss was my favorite.
  •  o   The Lucy Show- she was so damn funny.
  •  o   The Andy Griffith Show- I thought Opey was adorable.
  •  o   The Dick Van Dyke Show- I liked mary Tyler Moore more than Dick Van Dyke.
  •  o   Gunsmoke
  •  o   What's My Line?- I never was able to guess the person's job.
  •  o   The Ed Sullivan Show- we got to stay up for this show if a special guess was on.
  •  o   Hazel- The maid seemed to be the only person who knew what was going on in there small world.
  •  o   I've Got a Secret- I never figured out the secret.
  •  o   To Tell the Truth- I couldn't pick out the liars if my life depended on it.
  •  o   Lassie-I thought this dog was so damn smart.
  •  o   Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color- we watched this show every single Sunday night.
  •  o   Wagon Train- There were lots of shows at this time about the wild west.
  •  o   The Virginian- While Virginia was not the West, this show was the same genre as westerns.
  •  o   My Three Sons- I felt sorry for the dad because he was a widower.
  •  o   The Flintstones- Yaba, Daba, Doo. 

Movies- we just reached the age around this time that we started going to movies.
  • o   The Music Man- this was probably the first movie I saw and I loved the fun of it.  I loved the story and the happy ending and all that was right and wholesome at the moment.
  • o   How The West Was Won- I remember being overwhelmed at the hardships of these people.  I saw these people as heroes and this thought was reinforced by my dad who spoke of the patriotism of these men and women.

Books- I had great troubles with reading and read very little at this time. I hated reading.

Travels- my parents took us to museums, movies, fireworks, events at the large venues to see Skating on Ice, the circus, Valley Forge Music tent.  We ventured in to the city.

News events- Marilyn Monroe died.  I remember the newspaper men standing in the street, selling the Sunday paper and announcing her death.  I wasn’t sure who she was but my parents were stunned so I knew she had to be someone important.

Family Events-  
  • o   We moved to Overbrook in West Philly.  We, the 8 of us, left our 3-bedroom rowhome in West Oak Lane, in North Philly and moved in to an old, 7-bedroom house.  It felt like we moved in to a mansion. Shortly after we moved, my grandparents who lived two miles away from our old home, moved in to an apartment, two miles away from our new home. So, again, we got to see them almost every day.
  • o   I met Kathy Flately and she has been my friend ever since.
  • o   The Bartons, Flatleys and the Hunts became our family friends. Together, there were 37 children amongst these four families.



o    

No comments: