Sunday, April 22, 2018

Even More Thoughts On Nepal



Even More Thoughts on Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Nov 13, 2017 to Jan 9, 2018

  • The restaurants in my neighborhood are filthy and I have to look away when I eat or I would just starve to death.  There is an effort to wipe down the tables and clean the dishes but that is the extent of cleaning.
  •  
  • The temperature during the day is 70F and my students think this is cold weather.  They ask me why I am not wearing my winter coat.  They keep their coats on all day long.
  •  
  • Water bottles are placed on the tables in the restaurants and everyone just drinks right out of the bottle.  But they do not put their lips on the bottle. Instead, they open wide and pour water right in to their mouths and down their throats.
  •  
  • Most people get around on motorcycles.  However, there are plenty of taxis and they drive the road as if all the streets are properly paved.  They ride over potholes without concern of blowing out a tire.
  •  
  • Cars drive on the opposite side of the road for me.  So, when I walk the streets, I try to walk against the traffic so I can see the vehicles ahead of me.  However, not all drivers adhere to the law of driving on one designated side of the road.  They drive anywhere there is an opening.  All road spaces are filled at all times.
  •  
  • I don’t see much wildlife here.  There are lots of feral dogs and a few feral cats.  But I don’t see may birds or bugs or butterflies or squirrels or other rodents.  I do see pigeons and monkeys around the temples.
  •  
  • The roads are so dusty that all the plants and trees are caked in dusty and they look like fake plants and trees.
  •  
  • Most people wear face masks as the walk or drive through the streets.  I have-not started to do this yet.  I view it as a surrender to something.  But I am not sure what that surrender is.


No comments: