Wednesday, March 28, 2018

My Legacy

My Legacy
Or So I Hope

I hear it all the time: what will your legacy be?  Hell, I don't know.  I spent most of my time trying to get through the moment.  I didn't think about what I was leaving behind whenI am gone.  I don't know.  Maybe nothing. But maybe I left my family and friends with a few things:

1- I leave lots of books and an interest in reading.  I gave lots of books to my family and friends.  I hope they found joy, imagination and creativity in what I gave them to read.
2- I took all of my nieces and nephews (16) on a big ass trip, mostly to Europe.  I hope I sparked an interest in them to explore the world.
3- I hope my students understood that they mattered to me and I was always interested their wellbeing.
4- I traveled and posted all of my travel adventures on social media.  I hope people were inspired to go somewhere new, somewhere that pushed them a little bit.
5- I gardened a lot.  I photographed my garden.  Maybe someone is planting a tree or a bush or flowers and thinking of me.
6- When I turned 50, my sister wrote me a letter and thanked me for introducing her children to nature.  I was touched by that comment.
7- I took my nieces and nephews to lots of movies.  Movies are great escapees, great reality checks and great entertainment. I hope they go to the movies until their last breathe.
8- I made great efforts to attend as many family celebrations as possible. It is important to me to stay connected to family.  They are with you in the beginning and if you are lucky, they are with you in the end.  I hope I am lucky.
9- I have and had great friends.  I made an effort to stay connected with them.  I hope they see me as someone they can count on, as needed.  And on other occasions, as someone who could laugh with them.
10- I hope I showed people that you can live a full life as a single person.  Being married and having children must be nice.  But that is not the only way to live a full life.

To read more stories, check out:   bkmemoirs.blogspot.com
 or  bkmemoirs.wordpress.com

No comments: