Monday, February 19, 2018

Wanderlust


WANDERLUST



“I travel because I become uncomfortable being too comfortable.” 

 Carew Papritz


I have it. It owns most of my thoughts.  I could be on the road all the time.  I love to go to new places.  I am always planning a trip or two in my head.

It started in 1973 when I went to Italy on a school trip.  I loved every minute of this trip and it set me on a path of explorations.

In Europe, I love Italy and its specular food.  England has the theatre and the pubs that hold my attention. Germany knows how to do beer. And I am off to the Channel Islands soon to see Gerard Durrell's famous zoo.

In South America, I love to explore the last of the hidden tribes along the waterways of the Amazon. I love the feeling of being insignificant in Galapagos.  The animals rule in this part of the world. And Terre Fiego is the end of the world.

In Africa, I love to be on safari. I can’t see enough elephants, rhinos, hippos, birds, giraffes, zebras and lions in my lifetime.  Now, the monkeys and the baboons, that is a different story.  Those damn animals steal my food and belongs.  I have had enough of them. But I am going to make a trip to see the silverback gorillas.

In Antatrica, the magnitude of the ice humbles me. And, of course, I fall in love with every damn, smelly penguin that waddles passed me.

In Asia, I love to go to Buddhist temples and tea houses and vegetable markets. I love the noodles and the tofu.  I love the massages.

In Australia, I love the Aborigines and Uluru Rock and the Great Barrier Reef.

In North America, I love to visit the warm Caribbean and the expansive Canada.  And of course, there are a million things I love about the USA.






No comments: