Tuesday, February 20, 2018

He Wants to Knit


He Wants to Learn How To Knit
A Conversation with my mother
Philadelphia, PA
1975

My brother is 15 years younger than me, 11 years younger than his next sibling.  So really, he grew up as an only child.  He spent a lot of time with my mother. When he was 5, he asked my mother, an avid knitter, to teach him how to knit.

My mother called me, "Brian just asked me to teach him to knit. He wants to learn how to knit." Her tone sounded perplexed.

"So teach him", I responded a bit flippantly.

"Oh, I don't know", she responded sheepishly, "Do you think I should? I don't know? Is that too girly?"

I don't think she ever did.  But Brian did teach himself to knit and he knits all the time now. As a matter of fact, our niece recently gave birth to a little boy.  We all bought him gifts from Amazon.  But Brian knit him a beautiful, beautiful baby blanket.

My mother would have been so proud of Brian.

No comments: