Friday, November 24, 2017

The Principal's Award

The Principal's  Awards
1993-2007
Stroudsburg and Springfield High School


I wish I had kept a better list of the students who earned this award.  It was my award and I gave it to a senior each year at graduation. I picked a kid who stood out to me for one reason or another and who taught me a lesson.  Here is what I remember:

Sara Kolb- she broke her leg on the hockey field and came back to school in a cast from her hip to the toes.  It was an effort to walk and she never missed a day.  And she never missed a practice or a game.  She never quit the team after this accident even though everyone would have passed no judgment on her.  She got beaten up.  But she stood there in the cold and the rain and the long nights as her team finished the season.  She cheered them on and encouraged them and stayed focused on their mission.  Her  commitment to her team was commendable.

Mike Cassidy- it was a Monday morning and I got out of my car and complained and complained and complained to myself that I had to go to school today.  Of course, I had to go to school today, I'm the damn principal.  I can't expect everyone else to come to school and I stay home because I have a bad attitude. As I am ascending the steps and dragging my ass, I see Mike.  He just greeted one of our kids with Downs Syndrome.  In his nicest voice, he said, "Hey Raphael, how you doing man?  How is your woodworking project coming along?  Need any help?  I can lend you a hand if you need one?" His kindest stopped me in my cranky tracks and for a fleeting moment I thought to myself, "I'm glad to be here to have heard that interaction."

Joe Ferrell- Joe's father died suddenly in September. He struggled with this big loss and one of his teachers minimized this loss.  Joe and I talked about it.  He didn't want to malign the teacher but he didn't excuse this behavior either.  A few months later, my dad died and when he did, I called Joe because I knew he would understand what I was going through.

Laura Eilberger- OMG, this kid was so damn positive.  She always had a kind word for everyone.  She greeted everyone and just showed a genuine interest in everyone.  What a gift!!

Ted Kelly- We had an asshole who was pulling the fire alarm during lunch period on a regular basis and kids were missing their lunches.  I asked if anyone had any information and Ted came forward.  The kid was prosecuted and a court date was set.  The cops wanted Ted to testify and I was hesitant as this could cause him problems back at school.  But Ted didn't flinch.  He stood up to the kid who was terrorizing our school.

Juan ?- This boy enrolled in our school in September of his sophomore year  He didn't speak a word of English. By October, I had been called in a meeting with his mother, his teachers and him.  There were some problems with his academics and his behaviors.  "I hate English", he cried out to us and my heart broke for him.  Two years later, he mastered the language, excelled  in school and was accepted to Lehigh University to study engineering.

No comments: