Wednesday, November 22, 2017

My New Digs

My New Digs
Chestnut Square
West Chester, PA
June 2017


I moved in to a luxury apartment building after living in a house for 30 years.  It's an adjustment, not because of the new, limited space but because it has so many perks and amenities that I have never had.  I feel like I am living in a Marriott hotel.  At the moment, all of this feels comical to me.  I wonder how long it will take before it feels like the new normal?



  • There is a workout room and yoga room that is open 24/7 and I will probably never use it;
  • Coffee is available in two locations all the time. I am never making coffee again which also means I am never suing my stove again because coffee was the only thing I ever made at my house;
  • The pool is only open form Memorial Day to Labor Day but I can bring guests whenever I want;
  • There is a concierge who makes restaurant suggestions to me and offers me 15% discount coupons;
  • Occasionally, there are potluck dinners so we can get to know one another;
  • The 2nd Thursday of the month, there is a Happy Hour event for us at one of the local bars;
  • Boot Camp classes are offered on Saturday mornings.  What a dreadful way to spend the morning;
  • A conference room and a business Center are available as needed but I don't need it;
  • Continental breakfast is served every morning (M-F). I will have to set my alarm clock if I want to take advantage of this perk;
  • I am in the middle of town and can walk everywhere. I am looking forward to exploring my neighborhoods;
  • my balcony overlooks the pool;
  • the trash receptacle is at the end of my hallway; no more trips to the county landfill for me;
  • and I don't have to shovel my sidewalk, cut the grass, tend to the yard, etc, etc, etc;
  • the underground parking space means I will never shovel snow off my car again;
  • yesterday, I did not even use my car.  I don't remember the last time I went a whole day without using the car;
  • there are lots of bars and restaurants in my neighborhood.  I wonder if I will become a regular at one of the bars;
  • I'm looking forward to the first blizzard when we are all stuck here together.  Will it bring out the best or worse of each other? We will see.



No comments: