Saturday, August 19, 2017

Thoughts on Alaska



Thoughts on Alaska
My Trip to see the Iditarod
Feb 27- March 6, 2017



  • It's really cold there. And very icy.
  • The white, snow covered mountains are gorgeous.
  • people bundle up to keep warm and fashion is not a concern.
  • Alaskan king crab claws are more expensive in Alaska than they are in Maryland.
  • Curling is a strange sport.
  • I enjoyed ice fishing more than I had anticipated.  I knew I would like it but I was surprised at how relaxing it was to just sit, fish and chat.
  • Dog sledding is thrilling.  It is amazing to see these dogs run like crazy for long periods at a time.
  • There is plenty of public parking in Anchorage.  It seemed as if every third business was a public parking lot.
  • Reindeer meat hotdogs are sweeter than a regular hot dog.
  • I didn't get to see any Northern Lights so this is unfinished business.
  • I went to see the Iditirod in Wasilla but the start location was changed at the last minute to Fairbanks. This is more unfinished buisness.
  • I had contemplated the idea of participating in the Running of the Reindeers.  After I watched the event, I was glad that I chose to be a specator only.
  • The long ride down South #Route 1, along the bay, is beautiful.  It took forever to travel down the road because I stopped so many times to take photos.

To read more stories, check out:   bkmemoirs.blogspot.com
 or  bkmemoirs.wordpress.com



No comments: