Friday, August 18, 2017

Coming in Second

Coming In Second
Riverheads Middle School Basketball 
2017 Season
Middlebrook, VA


I was going to VA for the weekend and had planned on a leisurely drive on Friday.  But when I got the text that Clay was playing a basketball game at 6 on Friday night, my plans changed and I made a huge effort to get there to see him play.

"How is your season so far?" I asked him as I jumped out of my car and in to his grandmother's car.  We only had a few minutes for him to get there on time.

"OK," he responded without any enthusiasm.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"Mostly we lose.  We aren't that good this year.  But I think we will be better next year".

We get to the gym and there is no indication that a game will be played here in the next half hour.  Clay and I draw back the dividing curtain in the middle of the court.  We pull out the bleachers and turn on the lights.  With that, both teams show up and a warm-up practice begins.

The game starts and Clay makes the first basket.  And I am so pleased with myself for making the effort to get here.  The game ends in our favor and I think the losing team and the winning team are equally surprised.  And now, this victory entitles Clay's team to play in Saturday's play-off tournament.  

So on Saturday, he plays two games and his team easily wins these games as well. The boys play with a new confidence and there is a new spring in their stride as they come on the court.  Meanwhile, i am beginning to see myself as a good luck charm.

Since they won on Saturday, they now qualify for the championship game on Sunday.  So I attend my fourth game in less than 40 hours.  We play the team that we played Friday night.  Both teams play with their heart and the game is a nail biter.  We lose but only by a basket.  And no one seems devastated.  I think these boys were just happy to come in second.

To read more stories, check out:   bkmemoirs.blogspot.com
 or  bkmemoirs.wordpress.com



No comments: