Thursday, August 24, 2017

Cat Designer



Cat Designer
Goodwill Super Center
Stauton, VA
February 2017

My sister-in law asked me to join her on a trip to the Goodwill store.  She is a quilter and she likes to go to this store every couple of months and rummage through the clothing, in search of great pieces of potential quitting fabric.

"Only cottons," she tells me as I begin to pull things from the floor bins. I am quickly accumulating a pile of fabrics that draw my attention.  But I don't want to interrupt Cindy every time I find an interesting piece.  So I stuff all of my finds in the corner of one bin.  When we are both finished with our scouting activity, I will bring her over to my corner and show her all of my new found treasures.

But then I go back to my bin and it is gone.  It has been rolled away.  I look around in disbelief and complain to Cindy that all my treasures are gone.

"They rotate these bins every few hours", a man tells me.  "They'll bring out another bin for you in a few minutes.

"But I stashed my things in the corner of that bin. I want that stuff."

"Too bad, it's gone.  I come here all the time and I know, when you see something, grab it before it goes out to the dumpster."

Cindy comes over and tries to console me.  And the chatty man continues, "I make cat clothing.  I design them and everything is made without sewing.  I just cut.  My cats love it.  You know the onesies that babies wear?  They're my best find.  They are great for cat tails."

Cindy makes the mistake of making eye contact with this guy. And I begin to sneak away just as he is telling her about a tuxedo he recently made for his tabby cat. "He loves it.  He loves to wear it." Cindy nods her head in politeness and I move on to the new bin, leaving her to fend for herself in this cruel world of kooks.


No comments: