Saturday, August 26, 2017

Boycotting Walmart

Boycotting Walmart
Cecil County, MD
November 2016

Walmart is a corporation that I despise. It pays its employees poorly, does not give them enough benefits, is thoughtless to assigning reasonable hours and really doesn't have much opportunity to advance.  I once read that 80% of their employees are on some sort of public assistance. All of this is going on as their owners and the company earn billions of dollars. So I try to boycott this store as much as possible.  However, that is easier said than done since it is the only department store in my county.  Sometimes there is no avoiding this store.

Last year, there was a huge commotion in the news that Walmart would stay open for Thanksgiving.  The media highlighted that the poorest in the country had to work on this holiday and that Walmart really didn't need to stay open.  It was opened just to add to corporate greed.

I was in the store a few days before hand and as the cashier clerk handed me my receipt, I told her I was sorry she had to work on the holiday.

"Mame, I'm OK to work on Thursday.  I'm just lucky to have a job. It don't bother me. I got bills I have to pay."

Her response flooded me.  I never looked at it from her desperate perspective.


No comments: