Monday, July 24, 2017

Johnbeth

Johnbeth
An Acquaintance


I've met her  several times at various women's meetings.  She was always gracious and interested in what I had to say.  She let me tell my stories and she asked questions about everything I said.  She was engaging and worldly. But after five years of knowing her, I realized knew nothing about her. I knew she worked in Washington, DC but that's all I knew about her.

Her name came up in a conversations with my sister.

"You know her story, don't you", Sharon asked me.

"Nope. I don't know anything about her.  I assume she isn't married.  She never talks about a husband."

Thirty years ago, she was out to dinner with her husband.  When they came home, they found the house was on fire.  The babysitter had gotten out, unharmed.  But her three children died. Understandably, the marriage didn't survive the tragedy.  Johnbeth never remarried and she never talked about herself. She kept an invisible shied around her and she deserved to keep her distance from all of us.

No comments: