Friday, December 16, 2016

Vanilla



Vanilla
McDonald's Restaurant
Havre d'Grace, MD
August 2016


I buy a cup of coffee from McDonald's almost every day.  It's only a buck.  It's consistent and sometimes I go there just to find a quiet place to write.  So I tend to spend more time in McDonald's than I would like to admit.

The wait staff is mostly young and not very interested in me.  So I try to be annoying and chat them up every time I can.  The young woman waiting on me today has a name tag, "Vanilla."  My first assumption is she is trying to be clever and promote this new shake drink or something.

"Is your mane really Vanilla?", I ask her.

"Yea, it is.  Isn't that a bit of irony," she retorts with a tone of glee.

I don't get the irony so I confess, "What irony?"

"I'm black and my mother named me Vanilla. she thought she was so funny", she laughs and brings me my coffee.

I laugh too because I didn't see this irony but now it is glaring me in the face.  I tell her that my name is Chocolate.

She laughs and tells me, "We call my brother Chocolate."

With that bit of news, I give up on trying to trump her with a funny retort.  I take my coffee and find a table and keep to myself for the rest of this visit.

To read more stories, check out: bkmemoirs.blogspot.com
or bkmemoirs.wordpress.com