Thursday, December 15, 2016

How Much Do Your Kids Cost You

How Much Do Your Kids Cost You?
Philadelphia PA
1985


My father is sitting at lunch with three friends. They went to law school together and after 30 years, they still remained good friends.  They meet a couple times a year for lunch and the conversation usually picks up right where they left off from the last lunch.

This lunch Nick is complaining about his daughter, his only child. “Jesus,” he complained, “she’s costing me a fortune. And when is it ever going to end. I think she cost me about 25,000 bucks a year. And there’s no end in sight.  Jesus, Jim, you must spend a fortune with seven kids. How much do your kids cost you?”

My father is a little baffled by this question, “What are you talking about, our kids are adults now.”

“What”, Nick wants to know, “You aren’t shelling out any money for them?  Is it just me.  Joe, what about you.  What do your kids cost you.?”

Joe runs some numbers through his head.  “I pick up the car payments on my daughter so that’s about $1000 a year.  And then I throw in grocery money.”

Bob confessed that he pays rent for his one son.  Nick complains that he’s paying rent, car payment, car insurance, food and a clothing allowance.

“Jim, you can’t tell us that you don’t kick in something to your kids.”

“No”, he assures them. “I don’t give them anything.”

They just can’t believe it.

The next time I see my father, he replays this entire conversation with me, word for word, as if he has memorized it, as if he plays it over and over in his head because it is just too unbelievable to him.

“Let me ask you something,” he says, “Do your friends’ parents still support them?  How old are you, 34? Do your friends still hit their parents up from money?”

I tell him, “No.  I have one friend who depends on her parents.  They give her money.  But the rest of my friends are on their own, just like me.”


“Good, that’s the way it should be. You’re adults.”  And with that we went out to lunch and he let me pick up the tab.