Friday, January 29, 2016

Rotating Emergency Shelter

Rotating Emergency Shelter

Tuesday Night
Cecil County, MD
January 2016


930 PM
It’s snowing, just a little bit, the first snow of the season, as I make my way to the Rotating Emergency Shelter.  It’s 10PM, dark and windy. The wind howls and rips right through me.  As I make my way to the basement of the church, I think how lucky these people are to have somewhere to sleep indoors tonight.

The rotating shelter offers a warm respite for 30 homeless people in a county that may have 200 homeless residents.  The shelter is offered from December 1 to March 15. Thereafter, these people are left on their own to find a place to spend the night.
But tonight, this cold, cold night, they have a warm place to stay.

The basement of this church has 12 bunk beds that line the perimeter of the room.  Then there are 10 more cots on the floor. The women sleep on one side and the men on the other side. Cafeteria tables separate the two domains. The room is drab and institutional-looking. But it is warm so that is all that matters.

Some of the guests are already in bed when I arrive.  They have been here since 5PM and have been fed.  There is a small room where people watch television. A few play cards, at the cafeteria tables, but most people linger on and around their small space.

A few people sit at a table and talk amongst themselves. They talk mostly about ways to find something more permanent to live.

 “We’re going to get an efficiency. We been thinking of getting a one bedroom but then I’ll get the kids back and I thought, ‘The hell with that shit. Let them keep the damn kids.’ Hell, they cost me so much damn money. I don’t want them back. They cost me $4000 once.  We ain’t taking them back” one woman blurts out to anyone who is listening.

10PM

“Miss, Madame, hey, can you turn out the lights. They’re right in my eyes”, she complains to me.  This woman is a loner. No one talks to her and her cot is placed directly below a large, florescent light. In order to turn out her light, I’d have to turn out everyone’s lights and it’s too early to do that. But this light aggravates her and she is beginning to express too much irritation.

“Oh shut up,” says the woman in the next cot. “The lights will go off at 10:30. It’s no big deal.”

But it is a big deal to this woman and she struggles to cope with this offensive situation.  I offer her another place to sleep but she doesn’t want to move.  And then, quickly she is asleep and the problem is resolved for the moment.

11PM: Lights Out

“Can we have one more cigarette break”, he asks ever so quietly.  Only a handful is still up at this hour.

“Yea, of course, come on, “ I respond and lead him out to the designated smoking area.  I look back and notice seven other guys following us up the stairs.  I laugh, “Did you really just get out of bed and put your clothes on just to have a cigarette?”

“Yup,” one of them responded. “There isn’t much more in our lives to look forward to.” He lights up and sucks in a long drag of smoke.

They stand in the bitter cold and enjoy a final cigarette before it is lights out for everyone.

Midnight

A man approaches me and asks for cough syrup.

“That kid, the young kid, he’s really sick. He needs some medicine and I know they got something here for him to take.”  He rummages through our medicine box and finds cold medicine.  The kid comes over and he is sick. He really should see a doctor but he probably has no options available to him. He goes back to his cot and dozes off.

1:00AM
The room is dark. Thirty people are sleeping. But it is not quiet.  There is snoring and wheezing and the grinning of teeth. I can hear restlessness amongst some of the sleepers. There is an occasional cough or sneeze.  Someone talks in his sleep. Other than that, all is quiet.

3:00 AM
I am sitting in a chair with my eyes closed.  I have my alarm set for every hour so that I can check up on things.  But I feel a presence before me.  As I open my eyes, I see a woman standing right in front of me.  Her face is almost touching mine. Her hands are braced on the two arms of my chair.

“I need my inhaler, my inhaler,” she wheezes to me. Her warm breath hits my face.
I jump up and get it for her and she is so grateful for the immediate relief. She goes back to bed and sleeps through the night.

4:00AM
The last guest of the evening arrives.  He works until 3:30 AM and is allowed to come in for a few hours to catch some warmth.  He just backs his way to his cot and sleeps in him clothing, jacket and shoes included.

5:00AM
A few people are up and sitting, in the dark, at the tables, waiting for the first cup of coffee for the day.

5:30 AM
I make coffee, which will be ready for the 6AM wake up call for everyone.  The early birds sit and wait for this moment.

6:00 AM: Lights On
The lights are turned on and people begin to rally.  The smokers put on their pants and then they reach for their cigarettes. Off they go for their first cigarette so the day. The others use the washroom and begin to bundle up for the cold day ahead of them.

6:45 AM
Several people are in line already for the bus, which will be here at 7 to take them to the homeless center, a site that will feed them a cold breakfast. It’s also a place where they can receive mail.  I can’t quite understand why they are in a hurry to get out of here.  They really have nowhere else to go.

7:00 AM
The bus takes the first group and those who remain jump back in their cots as they have just been awarded another 15 minutes to lie down, under warm blankets.

7:30 AM

The shelter is now empty.  All that remains is the lingering odor of dirty clothes and stale cigarette smoke.