Saturday, January 30, 2016

Math Bitch

Mrs. Liebman
Math Bitch
Merion Mercy Academy
Merion Station, PA
1987

I hated math in high school and I don’t think I hated the subject as much as I hated the degrading experience of being in class with Mrs. Liebman, math bitch. She loved my sisters and I was a huge disappointment to her and she took every opportunity to let me know that I would never measure up to my sisters.  So most of my conversations with her were put downs and negative affirmations of a self esteem that was already suffering enough without her efforts.

When I was 32, I returned to my high school to see a musical.  It was at the end of the intermission when Sharon, my sister, told me that she had just been talking to Mrs. Liebman and mentioned that I was in the audience.

“She wants to see you,” Sharon tells me. “She’s in the back, waiting for you.”

I don’t have any desire to see her and I tell Sharon so.

“Oh, go on, just go and say hello to her; it won’t kill you.”

So, I thought, maybe I should.  I took my five-year old niece with me and made my way to the back of the auditorium where she was standing with a man and another woman.

“Hello Mrs. Liebman, I’m Bridget Kelly,” I tell her nervously. As I speak, the house lights flicker to alert all of us to return to our seats.


Before I could continue, she chimes in “Oh, you.  I was just talking about you to my husband.  I told him, Kathy was the talented one.  And Sharon was so bright and Patricia was so sweet.  But you, you were so bad.  But I guess you didn’t turn out so bad after all.  Look, you have a child and she doesn’t seem to be too bad.  Oh well, I have to go back to my seat.  It was nice talking to you.”  And with that, she left me standing there, seething with anger.