Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Barely Tolerating Them

Barely Tolerating Them
The Aboriginals
Darwin, Australia
February 2015

I wanted to go to Australia to visit with the Aboriginals.  I have always been intrigued with them, their music and their culture. When my mother visited Australia 20 years ago, she painted with some oft artists and talked about how unusual they were.  So I purposely made my way to Darwin where I knew there  would be a large population.

And I did find them.  They sat all day, in groups, on the streets, talking only to each other.

I stopped in a local restaurant and asked the waitress if she knew of a place where I could go and learn more about them.

"What's to learn.  All they do is drink and get drunk and lay on the street," she responded with a tone of disgust. "Don't go near them," she added.



To read more stories, check out:   bkmemoirs.blogspot.com
 or  bkmemoirs.wordpress.com