Sunday, June 28, 2015

Neighbors

NEIGHBORS


“You know that little alleyway by Spruce Street”, Diane asks me?

“Yea,” I tell her.

“Do you ever go down there”?

“No. I don’t have any reason to go there.”

“Well don’t.  It’s really creepy.  The people who live there are redneck and dangerous”, she states factually, almost sounding like a public service announcer.

“What are you talking about? Who lives there?”

“I don’t know who they are but Mike told me he tried to drive down there recently and they blocked his way.  They wouldn’t let him threw. So he got nervous and just pulled around and went the other way.  And his old mother was in the car and they wouldn’t let him through. Then Sam told me that he couldn’t get through and he was worried because he thought they had a gun.  And he didn’t want to mess with them”.

“Did he call the police?  They can’t block the road and then intimidate someone with a gun”. Now I am incredulous and plotting to drive down that alleyway tomorrow.

“I don’t know, he just said they had a gun”.

“They pointed a gun at him? Or did he see a gun?” I want to know.


“I don’t know. Maybe he said he was afraid they could have a gun.  You know, because they’re rednecks and all. I don’t know.  Maybe you should ask Sam.  Don’t ask me.  I don’t have the whole story. And besides, I don’t like to spread gossip.  Ask Sam”, she says in a tone of annoyance.

No comments: