Monday, April 27, 2015

Poverty in China


Standing on a corner in Henan Province, China I am watching an old woman collect plastic bottles from pedestrians. She moves laboriously as she grabs the bottle and shovels it in her torn bag. I quickly took her picture and in the process, caught her attention. She came over and said something in a loud voice.  I thought she was annoyed with me.  But my translator says she wanted to tell me that I come from “a wonderful country”.  A long time ago, she met an American and he was polite to her so she thinks we are all polite.  She stared at me a little bit, checked me up and down, laughed to herself and then went back to her task.   She gets 1 Yuan for every 10 bottles she collects.  So she gets 10 Yuan for every 100 bottles and that is about $1.75.  She told me she collects about 30 bottles a day. So she makes about 50 cents a day.  She is 80 and this is her daily income.  The government sends her 10 Yuan a month . It's it for her total income.  She and millions of other people in this country live at this level of poverty.

No comments: