Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I Want Him Out Of My House

I Want Him Out of My House
A Meeting With A Parent
Stroudsburg High School
1989

She was crying hysterically by the time I arrived at my office. Leaning against the window ledge, holding her head in her hands, she sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.

She was her usual unkempt self. In dirty clothes and a ripped flannel shirt, she lifted her head and looked straight at me. Her face was red from tears and pain but also from alcohol. Her face always had a reddish blotchy look to it. She drank a lot and everyone knew it. People referred to her as white trash, a slut, a whore, a druggie.

“I need to talk to you.  I need your help with Stevie. He’s driving me fucking nuts”, she cried in desperation. Her son, Steve, is a big pain in the ass at school so it is no surprise to me that he is also a big problem at home. She was a frequent visitor to my office.  She would come in every time I suspended Steve from school.  She defended him unconditionally and with a vengeance that is scary so I was surprised to hear that she now wants my help.

“I don’t know what to do with him. He keeps playing this song about a boy who kills his mother with a chain saw. I want him out of my damn house. You have to help me get him out of my house now before he kills me. I wish his father was alive to see what he is doing to me. He called me a drug addict but I’m clean. I don’t do that shit no more. I ain’t done none of that shit for years. At least when I was his age and driving my mother crazy, I had the courtesy and the balls to run away. I didn’t stay around and chant songs about killing my mother with a chain saw. He’s driving me fucking crazy.”
1989