Sunday, April 21, 2024

Cairo


Cairo, Egypt
Fall 1984



I picked my parents up from the airport. They were arriving home from 10 days in Egypt. Surprisingly and unfortunately, they were miserable, irritable, sick and tired.  I asked them how they liked their trip.  My mother told me she hated it which was quite a surprise to me as my mother loves to travel. Then she mentioned to me that she spent a day in the hospital there for dehydration.  I expressed my concerns to my father who said the trip wasn't bad but "Cairo is just a filthy, dirty, unpleasant city.

Two friends were with them and as they piled in the car with their luggage, it was evident that we not all going to fit.  So my father took the keys and told me that he would drive home and send my brother to come get me. I was annoyed but recognized that this was going to be a much more pleasant option than to listen to them all complain about their trip. I was so happy to see them drive off without me.

No comments: