Friday, December 29, 2023

Books 2023

 Books 2023


  1. Have I Told You This Already- Lauren Graham- "When you break up with a Bridget, you never get over it."
  2. The Greatest Beer Run Every- John Donohue-  "If you have a strong first world and a strong set of relationships then in some part of you, you are always free.  You can walk the world because you know where you belong.  You have some place to come back to/
  3. Let Me Tell You What I Mean- Joan Didion-  "Writing is the act of imposing oneself upon other people."
  4. Under the Banner of Heaven- Jon Krakauer- I really like everythingt this author has published but this story was just too boring and I didnt finish it.
  5. Birds Without Borders- I  never get tired of reading books about birds and birders.
  6. Foster- Claire Keegan- I listened to this short book because I wanted to become familiar with an Irish accent before I went to Ireland in March.  Some of the dialogue was so difficult to distinguish that I had to listen tot he story twice.
  7. The Nickel Boys- Colson Whitehaed- I didn't give this book my undivided attention so I missed some of the nuisances of the story.  But the overriding theme of injustice to juvenile black boys in the south during Jim Crow times was resounding.
  8. Call Me By Your Name- Andre Aciman
  9. Women Talking- Mariam Toews- I watched the movie and thought some of the intial dialogue was brilliant.  And then the movie went on and just repeated the conversations over and over again.  So I thought I would try listening tothe book.  It is over 6 hours long.  I listened to 4 1/2 hours and had to call it quits.  The dialogue just kept repeating itself.
  10. In Our Strange Gardens- Michel Quint
  11. White American Youth- Christian Picciolini- this book was dreadful and frightening.  How does one person slip away in to a life of so much hate.
  12. Into the Great Emptiness by David Roberts- I may want to listen to this book again when I am in Greenland.
  13. My Travels with Mrs Kennedy by Clint Hill- This was a sad book.  I forget that Mrs Kennedy was only 32 when her husband was murdered.
  14. The Bill of Obligations- Richard Haass- this book should be read by everyone studying the constitution.
  15. Rough Sleepers by Tracy Kidder- the problems with homelessness in this country are insurmountable.
  16. Stiff- Mary Roach- the book was so gruesome and so interesting.  The author explores all aspects of dead bodies.
  17. Small Things Like These- Claire Keegan- this is the second book I have read from this author this year.  Again, she tells a story of the struggles of an Irish family.
  18. I'm Glad My Mom Died- Jeanette McCurdy- what a dreadful woman this mother was.  I was glad she died, too.
  19. Bird by Bird- Anne Lamott- I'm certain that I read this book before but nothing sounded familiar to me.
  20. A Man Called Ova-  I saw the movie and liked it.  Surprisingly, I wasn't that interested in the book which is unusual for me.
  21. You Could Make This Place Beautiful by Maggie Smith- This woman wrote about every nuisance of her divorce.  It ripped her apart and I'm not sure she is ever going to recover.
  22. The World Deserves My Children- Natasha Leggero- This book was too much like the previous book.  Both were filled with random monologues that did not require me to give it my full attention.  And so it was funny at the moment but I could give back a singular thought that stayed with me.
  23. Enough by Cassidy Hitchinson- I had started my job with the belief that I was doing something important for our country but when the president that I had served wholeheartedly persuaded his supporters to reject the legitimacy of a free and fair election, I knew he was leadings his supporters to a dangerous assault on our political ideals for no other purpose than to soothe his injured pride and I resisted the efforts to hold him accountable for his actions.
  24. Ten Steps to Nannette by Hannah Gadsby.
  25. A Woman is No Man by
  26. Women Sharing Their Power by Great Dames

No comments: