Sunday, August 1, 2021

August 2020



AUGUST 2020
We Are Still Stuck 
In The Midst of The COVID 19 Pandemic
PA, DE, NY


1- SA- PA

I had a dream about Ida and she was upset about something.  So, of course, that upset me as well. And when I woke up, I was still a little upset.  I hope this isn't some sort of omen about her.

It's another damn, hot, sunny day.  I made it to the pool and the time passed so quickly that I was late to dinner at Sharon's house.

I brought dinner which I purchased at Carlino's and we just sat around for 4 hours and talked.  She seemed more concerned about the virus than the last time I visited her.  But I have been wandering around as if I won't catch this damn COVID and maybe I am making her nervous.  I need to be more careful.



2- SU- PA/DE

Theater N is finally opened up again.  I got to go to the movies, for the first time in months,  and see the documentary on John Lewis, Good Trouble.  What a brave man.  I have never been that tested to stand up for my convictions.  I have never been pushed to the point that I would give up my life for a cause, any cause.  He talked about the moment he lost his fears and become committed to resist at all cost to his life.  That's conviction. 

Afterwards, Jaye and I went back to her house and Dom grilled hotdogs for us.  Andrea came over and announced that her cousin has COVID. None of them have seen him for awhile so they don't have to quarantine.

In other news, I still can not get my damn, new laptop to work.  The password code is causing a problem beyond what I can address.  And I have gone to the store so many times that I can not bring myself to address the issue.  So I have been using my old computer while my new computer just sits in the box.  It is too hard to get help through customer service so I am just going to have to go back to DE and cry until they agree to help me again.

3- M- PA/DE

I went to the damn computer store again to get my laptop up and running.  It's been almost a month since I purchased this $1000 machine.  I was told I had to wait two hours before I could see anyone and that irritated me.  Then I finally got to see someone and he admitted that he put his own password in my computer  and that is why I coolant access it.  "Sorry about that" was the only apology I got after I conveyed what I had attempted over the last six days.  And once he told me the password, he indicated that he was finished.  So I snapped at his a little bit and told he that he was not to be dismissive with me.  He was a little surprised but I am exhausted by this situation.

When I got home, Phylis, Steve, Jeff, Debbie and I headed to Gay Street to see what was going on.  Tonight is the first night that the street is closed to cars in an effort to expand dining options for the local restaurants.  Unfortunately, a big storm is looming over us so there weren't lots of people around. We had food and drinks at Kildares.  My meal was perfect: reuben egg rolls and two beers.

Then I can back to the lounge with Debbie and ran in to Pete.  We didn't agree on anything tonight and eventually he stormed off, in the middle of my statement, on why I hate Trump. 

4- TU- PA

A tropical storm came through town and knocked out electricity for most of us.  Fortunately, Limoncellos Resturant still had power so Debbie, Jeff, Gabe and I went there for a leisurely lunch.  We didn't get back to the apartment until 6 PM and everyone was complaining about the heat.  So Debbie, Steve and I went back to Limoncellos for yet another drink.

I made a new playlist of cover songs and I love this list.  I played it nonstop throughout the night.


5- W- PA

It's Root Beer Day #58, our family holiday.  So I took root beer and ice cream over to Tricia's house and we had root beer floats.  And then the rest of the family texted each other on our recollection of the history of root beer day.

I finally got my hair cut and it doesn't look too much different, maybe a little shorter but it is still too bushy.  And three minutes after I comb it, it still looks unkept.

6- TH- PA

OMG, I slept until 1:37 PM today.  I don't remember when I went to bed, maybe around 3 AM.  But I am now wearing an eye mask to bed and that has been so helpful in keeping me asleep.  I had lots of dreams and I stayed asleep.

I am struggling over a stupid choice:  do I keep my Apple watch or not.  I bought it and had immediate buyer's remorse.  So I decided to return it and get a copycat watch from one of my Amazon freebie options.  So I got my new watch and haven't returned the Apple watch yet.  And I don't like the band on the new watch.  It seems too masculine to me.  Now I am talking myself in to keeping the expensive watch. and what do I do with the other watch.  And I am annoyed at myself for putting so much energy in to this decision.  It's only a stupid watch.

7- F- PA

I hung here all day at the apartment. I went to the pool.  I hung in the lounge, just like old times. And I listened to Debbie spell out her plan to leave her husband within the year.  He is driving her crazy and she is going to leave just as soon as her son is settled in college.

Twitter: I think we didn't understand that when he said he would not collect a salary, he also had no intention of working.
Quote Tweet
 Warn 
Speaker with one sound wave·
The WH has already called a “lid” for the day. It came at 9:42AM. Meaning that with 88 days left, a raging virus, people dying, and no resolved stimulus, his hard work for the day is done.

8-SA- PA

I spent the afternoon, farting around my apartment and then I headed over to Tricia's for dinner.  We ordered out Chinese and then watched an old movie, Howard's End.  The movie didn't hold my interest as much as trying to figure out how to use the remote to turn up the damn sound.  I screwed it up and we had to confess to Bill that we are incompetent.  He fixed it but the sound still wasn't loud enough.  But I had too much pride to tell him that I need yet another lesson on how to operate the remote.  So I listened and strained to hear much of the dialogue which I missed and consequently could not flow the whole story of this long 2 1/2 hour movie.

9- SU- PA

I hosted a zoom meeting with my Bangladesh students.  Their internet connection was terrible but they were pleased with the opportunity for all of us to meet.  They are hungry to connect.

I jumped in the pool in the late afternoon and I continue to be annoyed that there are new people who now want to use the pool when I am there.  They need to use the pool in the morningend early afternoon, just like everyone else.

10- M- PA

I had a meeting with Inram and Nadia to discuss scholarship opportunities for our students. Sharon and I raised $1150 for my Bangladesh students.  Now, several of them are suffering because of the virus and we are going to give them some tuition relief.

11- TU- PA/DE

I called Ladon in China today.  She passed her driver's test and she was thrilled.  She could hardly wait to tell me. It was great to hear her sweet voice.  She is finally going back to SIAS in two weeks and she cant wait.  I think it will eb months before we get to return as our virus problem continues to be out of control.

Biden picked Kamala Harris to be his running mate and I am thrilled, relieved and ready to get campaigning.  If TRUMP WINS AGAIN, I WILL LOSE MY MIND.

I went to Newark and had dinner with Betty.  I love to spend time with her because she speaks from an honest, raw point of view.  She came from a poor family that didn't support education.  Yet, she has learned to find her own voice and stand up for injustices.  

12- W- PA

I had a morning call to advocate for CARE.  I don't think I did a good job.  I think I raced through my message so that I wasn't too much of a burden to this complete stranger I was talking to.  Hopefully, she was more grateful rather than annoyed.

I went in to Philly to have dinner with Sharon and Glenn.  She ordered out from a nearby Mexican place. And I had to bring half of my food home with me.

13- TH- PA

I slept all damn day and didnt get out of bed until almost 7 PM.  I don't know what happened.  I didn't wake the first time today until 2:30 and then I listened to podcasts and nodded off and all of the sudden, it was almost 7 PM.  It was rainy all day so it was dark and the whole day looked like dusk.  But that is no excuse for sleeping all damn day.

I did have a few constructive moments today.  I made plans for a presentation with my Bangladesh students.  A woman from Nigeria is going to speak to my students about her work she has done around domestic violence.

14- F- PA

I was a detective this afternoon.  Kathy sent me a birthday gift via UPS and it should have arrived last week.  It didn't and she called and complained and they assured her it was delivered.  SO she contacted me and I went down to the concierge desk and asked Adrian and she checked and nothing came in.  So Kathy asked me to call the clerk in the Maremeck, NY office and I did and we discovered that Kathy sent the package to the wrong address.  She sent it to 201 East Gay street and I live at 201 East Gay Street.  So it was dropped off at a house that is student apramentns and vacant for the last couple of months.  there was a contract, working on the house and he claimed to be related to the owner and said he would call and ask about about the package.  But moments in to our conversation, he appeared to become catatonic and maybe a pycho killer so I left.

15- SA- PA

Debbie and  I went across the street to see if we could find someone whose what happened to my package.  Jeff waited in his car, waiting to intervene if necessary.  No one answered the door.  So I left a note and we are all watching it to see if anyone responses.  So far, no one is there.

I spent too much of the afternoon, listening to yet another podcast, Park Predators.  There is one story after another about people who are murdered in our state and national parks.  I don't know why this appeals to me and I do not know why I want to continue to go to national parks.  They are more dangerous than I thought.

A few hours later, we went to Lemoncello for dinner.  I had the filet.  Jeff's co-worker stopped in and joined us for dinner.  He is 56.  He has 7 children and a 25 year old girlfriend who is pregnant with another man.  She already had 3 kids.  And some people just love to fuck up their lives.

Sue Descano contacted me to let me know that her 97 year old mother died peacefully in hospice care.  Sue has been an extraordinary daughter who gave her mother so much care.  I told her that she will never have any regrets about her commitment to her mother.  Ashe did her best to give her mother a quality fo life.

16- SU- PA

It was a rainy, lazy day.  True to form, I did very little.  I wandered around my apartment, trying to figure out where the time goes day in and day out.

I called Sue to check in on her and she seemed to be at peace with her mother's death.  Her husband wants her to say something to her siblings who didn't pull their weight during the 3 years that the mother lived with Sue.  I suggested she let it go because she has the gift of living without any regret about how much care she gave her mother.

I called Jane Momer and we spent the first 20 minutes, talking about health care.  I finally had to stop her because we were sounding like two old ladies.  So then we moved on to politics and it appears as if she is moving over to my side on some issues.  She is defiantly not voting for Trump so I am relieved.

I ran out to the store to pick up some fuel for my new Japanese siphon coffee maker.  On the way home, I realized I forgot about Cindy's bday zoom call.  So I pulled in to a nearby WAWA to jump in on their wifi and catch up with everyone.  We talked for about an hour.  I mentioned I was going to try my new coffee maker and there was texting amongst the boys about how dangerous my new gadget is.

TWEET: The world pities us. @kenolin1 From The Irish Times: “the United States has stirred a very wide range of feelings in the rest of the world: love and hatred, fear and hope, envy and contempt, awe and anger. But there is one emotion that has never been directed towards the U.S. until now: pity.” Thanks, Donald.Tweet: The world pities us.

17- M- PA
It rained all day and it felt like Sunday.
I tried my new coffee maker and love it even though it takes more time. But the coffee was less bitter and smoother than usual. I wonder how many times I will use it. It's a lot of steps and equipment and clean up and a bit of a fire hazard. And I am not supposed to have an open flame in my apartment. So I will have to be careful.

I rented a movie from BMFI and loved it. It was a documentary about Flannery O'Connor. I had to read her short stories in high school and I thought she was a kook. Now, after watching the movie, I want to go back and read the stories again.
I have been watching flight fares to China. Today, they are going for $9000+ and so I will not be going to China for quite some time.
18- TU- PA
it was a gorgeous day so I picked up Caitlin's boys ad Lucy and took them to Marsh Creek for the afternoon. I picked up $30 in snacks for them. I got a speeding ticket for $153. The entry fee in to the pool was $40. It took me 40 minutes to drive to their house, 50 minutes to drive to the creek, 60 minutes to get back to their house in rush hour and 40 minutes back to my house. That was a very expensive and time consummating two hour swim at the pool.

It is the first night of the democratic National Convention and Michelle Obama kicked it off with a speech that sent the internet abuzz.
19- W- PA
I gave blood today for the first time.
Tweet: I’m one of these Americans. #TrumpIsANationalDisgrace Tweet: @realTuckFrumper: New Poll: Majority of Americans Are Embarrassed and “Very Angry” at the State of the Country https://politicususa.com/2020/08/19/new-poll-majority-of-americans-are-embarrassed-and-very-angry-at-the-state-of-the-country.html
20- TH- PA
Kathi Lewis was well enough to go out to lunch so I picked her up and we went to a local restaurant where Michelle and Rosina joined us.

21- F- PA
Sue Descano's mother's funeral was today. In spite of the virus, we were allowed to congratulate in the church. The priest washed his hands about five times during the Mass.
lunch with kevin Williams

dinner with Debbie Shur
my new BOSE speakers arrived in the mail and I love, love, love them.. They have so much bass that I can feel a vibration when I lay the speaker on my chest.

22- SA- PA
I was up by 830 AM today because I had to call Ladon in China at 9AM. I still cant believe how excited she gets when I call her. She wasn't feeling well. But then I told her that my friend, Debbie, wanted to join us. So she perked up and rose to the occasion and it was fun to talk with her.

23- SU- PA
I started the day with a great zoom call to the facilitators of our MySistersKeeper project.
Thicker Than Water
phone call from Joanne Travolina

24- M- PA
lunch with Kathy Lewis and Jane Momer
dinner with Sharon and Glenn

25- TU- PA/NY
I took a road trip to Saratoga Springs, NY. I just needed a change in scenery.
dan rather book
Druthers brewing

26- W- NY
Artisinal Brewing Company
Saratoga Springs State Park
Mineral water
Breaking Wild book
my blog feed is back

27- TH- NY/PA
8 hours to get home
rain storm
tornado alert
seeking shelter
White Castle
notice from a collection agency.

28- F- PA

It rained off and all most of the day so that kept me inside. Sharon called in a frantic, exhausting panic over her Facebook account. She was not able to manipulate an event she is planning so she called on me. She needs my "expert' advice. LOL, I don't know shit.
29- SA- PA
I got up early to call Ladon. I just couldn't wake up so but I wandered down to the lounge to pick up a better internet connection. When I called, Ladon told me that she was outside, at a party, on campus. So we rescheduled the call for tonight and I went back to bed on this rainy morning. She sent me some photos and I suspect she may be gay. I'm not sure and theses not a culture that accepts homosexuality. But her photos and her intent seem so obvious to me. I am not sure how I am going to handle this suspicion.

At 11 AM, I had to call Bangladesh to cover Maaike's call with her students. I think I was too damn assertive for them and they were overwhelmed. It was hard to get them to talk and all of their responses centered around how they couldn't do thing. "In Bangladesh, we don't do that." I heard that so many times when I was there. One young woman told me that if we are too assertive in this domestic violence awareness campaign, we may offend the men. I told that was my plan. But, we had a breakthrough. We have decided that we are going to target beauty parlors as a way to get our information out.
After the call, I went back to my apartment and listened to a book. It's story of yet another person with a horrible family life. I was only going to listen for a 1/2 hour or so. But the book grabbed my interest and then all of the sudden, it was 4:30 PM and I had to get ready to drive to Deb Green's house. We had plans to drink beer in her newly renovated back yard. But her computer started crashing so she ran off to the Apple store for an intervention. So I stayed home.

Then Leo contacted me. He wants me to take him swimming again. We hope to go on Monday. Let's see what the weather brings. He starts school on Monday so I cant come get him and the others until 3:30 PM.
And then it poured down with heavy rain for most of the rest of the evening. I am glad that I did not drive out to Deb's house. It would have been too treacherous coming home.

And I forgot to call Ladon back at 10 PM. I will have to try tomorrow.


My tweet with regards to Trump's statement that he wanted his daughter to be the reforest female president: I don't think Ivanka can serve from prison.

30- SU- PA

I hosted a zoom call on domestic violence to day and the presenter was fabulous. Giftie is a young womanfrom Nigeria who was raped as a young woman and now works to empower other women to stand up against violence. Her talk was rivetingand my students listen for an hour as she told her story. We all left energized to be the change. It was a home run.

  • identify allies
  • have a conversation
  • sometimes religions and cultural make it (domestic violence) look normal.
  • Love doesn'thurt
  • Createawareness.
  • There is power in unity.
  • Identifygovernement agencies, civil groups, religiousgroups who have a stake in this idssue.
  • If you seesomething, say something.
  • if a woman loses confidence, say something.
  • Never blame the victim.
  • Stand togherher so you can not be pulled down.
  • The morewe keep quiet, the more we encourageit.
  • Create as much awareness as possible. Find the voices of women. It is not OK.
Tricia invited me over for dinner. the kids were there and we were good company to each other. I was happy to be with them. of course, too much of our conversation turned to Trump and his woeful incompetence.

When I returned, I called Ladon and sure enough, she is gay. it was a relief for her to tell me.

31- M- PA

Before I was even out of bed, I decided to check my phone calls. I got a call from an unknown source whichI ignored. But I saw that there was a voice mail. It was the owner of the house across the street from me. He had my package that Kathy sent me last month. He was going to bring it by some time today. I was so relieved.

I texted Caitlin to see if this was still a good day for me to pick the kids up and take them swimming in the PM. Today was the firstday of the new academic year and everything is virtual. As she describedit, "It's a real shit show around here." We rescheduled our plans to go to the pool.

I started the day with a phone call to Nadia. it's alwaysnice to chat with her. I am trying to get some sort of donation site up on the ULAB website but that just isn't something they do in Bangladesh.

I called kathy to let her know that I got her gift. She wanted to know how this happened and I told her, "nevertheless, she persisted."

Late afternoon, I just had to get out of my apartment so I drove to Costco, looking for nothing in particular. Fiortunaley, I came home empty-handed. I do not need any more junk.

I sent a text to Joanne Travolina to see if she wanted to get together. It's been almost 2 years since we have seen each other. We will meet in Newark, DE, along with Shelia on September 11. It will be nice to catch up. She told me that the guy who bought my place just sold it for $200,000. FUCK!

I watched a movie on Amazon Prime: Men Who Stare At Goats. I just can't watch movies at home. I get distracted. I go to the bathroom. I get something to drink. I check my email. I tweet something out. And whileI think I can multi-task and take it all in, I dont/ I miss key comments and clues and am left with gapping holes in understanding what I am watching. I wan the movie theaters to open up again.












My
MIIM
Quote Twee

No comments: