Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Movies 2019


Movies 2019



1- Bohemian Rhapsody- I saw this movie a month ago and  loved it so much that I went again and loved it again.

2- On the Basis of Sex- the story of Ruth Ginsberg and, of course, I loved it.

3-Carfnaum- a sad story about an undocumented kid living in poverty, in Beirut.  No one so many people risk everything to flee their country.

4- Mary Poppins- It was fun to watch this film.  I wonder if it has enough to stand up against the original.

5- If Beale Street Could Speak- I was a little disappointed with this film.  I love James Baldwin's writing but I didn't think this script was strong enough to carry the message.

6- The Wife- Glenn Close is up for an Oscar nomination.

7- Nominated Short Animation Films- I didn't really like any of these films.

8- Nominated Short Live Action Films- OMG, all of these five films were so full of violence and despair.

9- Nominated Short Documentary Films- it's a tough world out there and these films confirmed that.

10- STYX- a story about a solo sailor who encounters a refugee boat sinking in the ocean and no one will come out to rescue them.

11- Apollo 11- i remember the first landing on the moon like it was yesterday and watching this moment on the big screen brought back all that damn pride.

12- The Best of Enemies- we really aren't making enough progress in our battle for civil rights for everyone.

13- WC Film Festival- I watched 14 short films and loved most of them.

14- Wild Nights With Emily- what a funny, quirky movie about Emily Dickinson.

15- Tolkien- I thought I was seeing a movie about Tolstory so it took me at least 10 minutes in to the film to realize I had the wrong writer in mind.

16- Amazing Grace- Arthea Franklin's documentary about recording her first Gospel album.  I thought the movie was a bit boring.

17- All is True- the story of Shakespeare and his sad, personal life.  The movie was well done but dreary.

18- Rocket Man- Elton John's sorry.  I feel lucky to be me and not him.

19- Pavarotti- Magnificent

20- Man with a Gun- awful

21- Maiden- I loved this movie about the first all-female team to compete in the sailing race around the world.

22- The Last Black Man in San Francisco- it was quirky and surreal and I think I missed out on some of the symbolisms.

23- Marianne and Leonard- a documentary about Leonard Cohen.

24- Echos in the Canyon- the story fo the music scene in California in the mid-1960's.

25- Nanette- This was a Nextflix film about a comedian's efforts to come out of the closet.  the film started out slow but ended with a punch.  I loved it.

26 The Farewell- I wanted to love this movie but I just liked it. The writer did a great job of explaining the differences between East and West cultures.  She nailed it when she described Westerners as individuals in all of our thinking.

27- After The Wedding- This movie didnt do it for me.  There were too many characters, all of whom were shallow.  The story was too bizarre and I want vested in anyone's self interest.

28- Death Zone- 20 sherpas climbed the Death Zone of Everset and removed dead bodies and most of the debris from this area. t hey were inspiring.

29- Where'd You Go, Bernadette?- it was quirky and unbelievable but fun and funny.  I liked it.  I read the book and thought both were equally good.

30- Luce- I didn't really like this movie.

31- Peanut Butter Falcon-  I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED THIS MOVIE.

32- Brittany Runs A Marathon- This is the type of movie you watch at home on a friday night when you just want something mindless.

33- Downton Abbey- I didn't watch the series so I wasn't as drawn to this movie as other.  But it was will done.

34- The Secret Life of Pets- this cartoon was shown at my apartment and I liked it more than I thought I would.

35- Judy- the dreadful, sad story of Judy Garland.  She was so admired and so unhappy.

36- The Sound of My Voice- Linda Rodstaast's story.  This woman had lots of talent and nerve to buck the music industry.

37- Where is My Roy Cohn- the story of one of Trump's ruthless, despicable lawyers. This movie was yet another glimpse in to the corrupt world of Donald Trump.

38- Goldfinch- I liked this movie.  I didn't read the book and so I think some things were probably more clear in the book.  But it was entertaining.

39- Harriet- the story of Harriet Tubman.  She was a woman of courage.

40- The Irishman-  the ugly story of the Mafia.

41- No Fear- a long, Bengali movie that had too much violence against women.

42- The Chaperone- two women who struggle to find happiness.



No comments: