Monday, September 9, 2019

Faculty Meeting 2019

Our Retired Faculty Meeting
Media, PA
First Day of School
September 3, 2019

For the last couple of years, I've held a faculty meeting for retired faculty on the first day that teachers go back to school.  I am a retired high school principal so I think this idea is funny. Six of us met: Bill, Fran, Sue, Rita, Nancy and me.  We went to Quotations in Media and for the first 45 minutes we just chatted each other up.  We didn't have time to look at the menus so I told the waiter that I would just come get him when we were finally ready to order.

We started with catching up on the kids who were making it in the world.  We have a few emerging superstars and we reminisced about our connections with them.  We caught up on faculty gossip.  We all affirmed that we would never want to go back to work.  We shouted out how many school years have started without us.  This was my 10th retired school year for me.

We talked about our travels of the last year and our plans for the next couple of years. We are all trying to get in as much travel while we still can.

One woman is now the primary caretaker for her mother and we lamented those days of caring for our pattens who are now all gone.

I just lost my first tooth earlier int eh week. I bit down on a piece of popcorn and cracked the thing right in half.  So it was yanked out and it hurt like hell.  So I was a crybaby and everyone showed me their open spot in their smiles.

Optional plans for Medicare were discussed.  We all have ideas of what was best.  I qualify for medicare in July 2020 so I have to get on that.

As we were chatting, I looked up and saw Wanda Sykes, the comedian, walk by.  She lives in the area and is often stopped on the main street.  We left her alone.

After two hours, we had to make decisions about feeding the parking meters.  This task was the impetus for two of us to leave.  The rest of us refreshed our beverages and settled in for another hour of casual conversation.  And when we got up to leave, Fran remarked, "we have to meet more than once a year."  And he's right.


No comments: