Monday, August 12, 2019

Deserts


Deserts of the World
And Me

I love to be in a desert.  I feel inferior here but that doesn't matter because there is just so much beauty in the simplicity of the desert.


  • Gobi- Mongolia-  We sat at the dunes of this desert at sunset and for the first time in my lifetime, I experienced absolute silence.

  • Sahara- Morocco- OMG, it was 120F and I thought I was going to die.  I took a camel out to a campsite about 2 hours north and I regretted every minute of this venture.  Finally, we got to our site and it was still hot.  We slept under the stars.  A bug bit my toe.  It started to rain and the raindrops were a welcomed relief.

  • Painted Desert- AZ- I went here with my nephew and he wanted to go for  a run.  He was only 14.  I told he to go ahead but he had to stay in my view so that he wouldn't get lost.  I told him that his mother would kick my ass if I came home without him.  He took off and in two minutes, I couldn't see him anywhere.  I held my breathe until he came back in my view a few minutes later.

  • Namibia- we watched the sun come up on Dune 45.  It was magical.  I attempted to climb the dune but I had vertigo so I came down to the base and just sat there.  And I felt my mother's presence here.

  • Death Valley- NV- it was February and still hot as hell.  Because I was there in the off season, no one was around when I was there.  I parked my car on the side of the road and just hung there, looking at the beautiful red rock formations.

  • Jordanian Desert- Israel- we took a jeep through the desert and just looked at the rocks. I loved it.

  • Antarctica- I know I don't really need to say that it was really, really, really cold here but it was. It was hard to wrap my head around the fact that this continent is a desert.

No comments: