Sunday, April 28, 2024

529 Grier Street


529 Grier Street
Williamsport, PA
1981-1984

I drove pass this house in rural Delaware and had to turn around and come back to stare at it.  I couldn't believe it.  This house was the exact architecture of a home I lived in, years ago.  And it is the same color and about the same level of decay. My house was surrounded by four large pine trees which gave off an even eerier look to it.

I was just starting my frost professional job.  I was 25 and I had no money and no car.  So I had to find a reasonable place along a bus route. this house fit the bill.  And the inside was beautiful with hard wood floors and elaborate crowning around all the door ways and plaster wall and lots of sunshine.  I had the entire left side of the 2nd floor.  There was a large bedroom and a small den and a big kitchen and a dining room and a big bathroom. I had lots of room. I loved it.

I showed it to my immediate supervisor and he took one look at the place and told me, "I'll get you a lawyer.  We will get you out of this lease."

I couldn't believe it as I loved this place and he was horrified.

No comments: