Thursday, February 28, 2019

1981



1981

State College, PA (January- August)
   And then
Williamsport, PA (August- on)

My age: 25- 26

School: I graduated from Penn State University with a Master's in Education (MEd) in Secondary School Counseling.

Work: I started working at Loyalsock High School in Williamsport, PA for the 81-82 school year.  I was a high school guidance counselor. I loved this job. I was paid $17,000 and I thought I had won the lottery.

Home:  I moved in to an old, dilapidated house in Williamsport.  I loved it but when my co-workers saw it, they said they would help me find a lawyer so I could get out of the lease. The house may have been haunted as I had two unexplainable incidents there.

Music
  • "Bette Davis Eyes" Kim Carnes
  • "Endless Love" Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
  • "Lady" Kenny Rogers
  • "(Just Like) Starting Over" John Lennon- it was hard to listen to his songs since he had just died.
  • "Jessie's Girl" Rick Springfield
  • "Celebration" Kool & the Gang- I never liked anything this group sang.
  • "Kiss on My List" Hall & Oates
  • "I Love a Rainy Night" Eddie Rabbitt
  • "9 to 5" Dolly Parton- This song was a great theme song for her movie.
  • "Being with You" Smokey Robinson
  • "Queen of Hearts" Juice Newton
  • "Rapture" Blondie
  • "A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do)" Raydio
  • "The Tide Is High" Blondie
  • "Slow Hand" The Pointer Sisters- I like all of their music.
  • "I Love You" Climax Blues Band
  • "Woman" John Lennon
  • "Angel of the Morning" Juice Newton- a good remake.
  • "Love on the Rocks" Neil Diamond
  • "Guilty" Barbra Streisand & Barry Gibb- I usually like her duets.
  • "The Best of Times" Styx
  • "Elvira" The Oak Ridge Boys- no thanks.
  • "Take It on the Run" REO Speedwagon
  • "(There's) No Gettin' Over Me" Ronnie Milsap
  • "Woman in Love" Barbra Streisand
  • "The Boy from New York City" The Manhattan Transfer- This is a quirky group.
  • "Urgent" Foreigner
  • "Passion" Rod Stewart
  • "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" Pat Benatar- she had lots of hits off this album.
  • "Time" The Alan Parsons Project
  • "Hungry Heart" Bruce Springsteen
  • "Too Much Time on My Hands" Styx
  • "This Little Girl" Gary U.S. Bonds
  • "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty
  • "America" Neil Diamond- 
  • "Ain't Even Done With The Night" John Cougar
  • "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen- I was never a Queen fan.
  • "Hello Again" Neil Diamond
  • "Don't Stand So Close to Me" The Police
  • "Same Old Lang Syne" Dan Fogelberg
  • "Cool Love" Pablo Cruise
  • "What Kind of Fool" Barbra Streisand & Barry Gibb
  • "Watching the Wheels" John Lennon- John Lennon was dead at this time.
  • "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" Hall & Oates
  • "Suddenly" Olivia Newton-John & Cliff Richard
  • "Whip It" Devo- this was a strange song.
Movies
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark- this movie was very entertaining
  • On Golden Pond- I liked it then but probably wouldn't like it now.
  • Absence of Malice- a good story
  • Das Boot- this was a difficult movie to watch
  • French Lieutenant Wife- a good story
  • Four Seasons- sweet
  • Arthur- entertaining
  • Chariots of Fire- a good story and something I had never thought about
  • Mommie Dearest- that woman was a bitch.

Books- I only read textbooks but I was an avid reader of People Magazine and the Smithsonian Magazine.

Travels- I went nowhere this year.  I had NO damn money.  Every penny I had went to living three cents above the poverty level. Life as a graduate student is dull, dull, dull.

News events
  • Lady Diana Spencer married Charles, Prince of Wales. I got my sorry ass up at 430AM to watch this event.
  • Ronald Reagan appointed Sandra Day O'Connor to the US Supreme Court. It was about time.Pope John Paul II, was shot but not killed in Vatican City. The whole world panicked
  • An unknown piece of music written by Mozart is discovered at the Bavarian State Library. And I haven't listened to it yet.
Family
  • I had surgery on my vocal cords.  For the last several months, the doctor had been treating me for some non-cancerous growths on my cords.  I went to see him on a Friday and he seemed concerned.  "You have to have surgery soon," he told me.  I suggested I wait until I finish school in a few months.  But my situation was more urgent.  I had surgery the first thing Monday morning.
  • Sharon, my sister, got married.  We had the wedding at our home on Long Beach Island, NJ.
  • Patricia graduated from PSU with an BS degree.
  • Sharon graduated from Temple University with an MBA.
  • Jim graduated from Widener with an MBA
  • I moved to a new area for a new job and lived alone for the first time.
  • I don't have a car so I have to bum rides from friends, hitchhike or take the bus through life.

No comments: